Stephen R. Donaldson is an American writer of fantasy, science fiction and detectives whose works have been noted as being very far towards the cynical end of the Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism. His personal website can be found here, and is notable for the lengthy "gradual interview" which has allowed a lot of readers to send him questions over the years. Among his published works are:
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (fantasy)
- Mordant's Need (fantasy)
- The Gap Cycle (science fiction)
- The Man Who series (mystery)
- The Great God's War (fantasy)
Works by Stephen R. Donaldson with their own pages:
Other works by Stephen R. Donaldson contain examples of:
- Classical Antihero: Mick "Brew" Axbrewder from the Man Who series is a self-pitying alcoholic.
- Same Face, Different Name: The Man Who series was first published under the pseudonym "Reed Stephens" at the insistence of the publisher, to draw a distinction from his SF works.