Sonja Henie (8 April 1912 12 October 1969) was a Norwegian figure skater and film actress. The daughter of a wealthy Norwegian family, her parents encouraged their children to take up sports. When Sonja turned out to be gifted at skating, her parents got her the best tutors, which definitely paid off.
She won championship after championship (10 World Championships, 6 European Championships, three Olympic gold medals). Then she went on to a hugely successful career in films and live shows.
- Happy Landing
- Its A Pleasure
- My Lucky Star
- One In A Million
- Sun Valley Serenade
- Thin Ice
Her work provides examples of:
- Fanservice: She popularized the short skirts for skating dresses.
- Genre Turning Point: Not just for figure skating, but also making ice shows popular in the US.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Worn for some publicity photos, rather than worn on film as that would get in the way of her skating.
- Non-Actor Vehicle: Her first few films limited her roles until she got used to being on screen.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Her skating dresses were very fancy.
- Pretty in Mink: If someone wasn't wearing a fur coat in her films, she wore a fur-trimmed skating dress. In Real Life, her father and brother were furriers.
- She's Got Legs: Her outfits showed them off.
- Sweater Girl: Before the trend took off in The '50s, she was a pioneer of wearing form-fitting, wholesome sweaters in her films.