Roy Richard Scheider (November 10, 1932 – February 10, 2008) was a two-time Academy Award-nominated American actor whose career spanned five decades and encompassed Broadway, films, and television.
A New Jersey native, Scheider was an amateur welterweight boxer and U.S. Air Force officer prior to embarking on his acting career. He first came to prominence in 1971 with his supporting roles in Klute and The French Connection, the latter of which earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Four years later, he achieved his breakthrough to stardom as Chief Martin Brody in the 1975 blockbuster Jaws; he would reprise the role in Jaws 2 three years later.
Several of Scheider's subsequent lead roles would be similarly rugged protagonists in action and science fiction movies and TV shows. On the other hand, he received his second Oscar nomination — this time for Best Actor — as well as Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations for playing an Author Avatar of Bob Fosse in Fosse's quasi-autobiographical 1979 musical film All That Jazz.
Scheider passed away in February 10, 2008 after a battle with multiple myeloma. Rest in peace, Roy.
Works with pages on TV Tropes include:
- The Curse of the Living Corpse (1964): Philip Sinclair
- Klute (1971): Frank Ligourin
- The French Connection (1971): Det. Buddy "Cloudy" Russo
- The Seven-Ups (1973): Det. Buddy Mannuci
- Jaws (1975): Chief Martin Brody
- Jaws 2 (1978): Chief Martin Brody
- Marathon Man (1976): Agent Henry "Doc" Levy
- Sorcerer (1977): Scanlon / Dominguez
- All That Jazz (1979): Joe Gideon
- Blue Thunder (1983): Officer Frank Murphy
- 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984): Dr. Heywood Floyd
- Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985): Narrator (voice)
- Cohen and Tate (1988): Cohen
- Listen to Me (1989): Charlie Nichols
- The Russia House (1990): Russell
- Naked Lunch (1991): Dr. Benway
- Romeo is Bleeding (1993): Don Falcone
- The Rainmaker (1997): Wilfred Keeley
- The Punisher (2004): Frank Castle Sr.
- Love of Life (1965–66): Jonas Falk
- Cannon (1 episode, 1971): Dan Bowen
- Saturday Night Live (1 episode, 1985): Himself – Host
- SeaQuest DSV (1993–95): Capt. Nathan Bridger
- Third Watch (6 episodes, 2002): Fyodor Chevchenko
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (1 episode, 2007): Mark Ford Brady
- Family Guy (2 episodes, 2007–09): Himself (voice)
This actor's work provides examples of the following tropes:
- Actor-Shared Background: He played police officers in several films and a government agent in Marathon Man. He himself served as an Air Force officer for several years so he was no stranger to being a man in uniform.