Robert Michael Sheehan (born January 7, 1988 in Portlaoise, Ireland) is an Irish actor best known for playing the role of Nathan Young in the popular British sci-fi dramedy Misfits. In early 2011, it was announced that he was leaving the show to pursue other projects and would not be appearing in the third series, to the horror of many fans.
Also notable for his appearances in movies such as Cherrybomb, Killing Bono, Moonwalkers and Season of the Witch, a major role in Canadian TV series Young Blades, and leading role in the hit Irish drama Love/Hate. He also played Simon Lewis in the film adaptation of The Mortal Instruments and Klaus Hargreeves in the Netflix series The Umbrella Academy.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Played a highly androgynous gay prostitute in Channel 4's critically acclaimed Red Riding Trilogy.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Can come across this way in interviews, with a trace of Lovable Sex Maniac thrown in - he single-handedly lowered the tone of the 2010 BAFTA awards by repeatedly mentioning porn in every red carpet interview.
- Fake American: As Simon in the film version of The Mortal Instruments and in The Road Within. He uses an American accent in Season of the Witch despite it being set in 14th century Europe. Klaus was adopted and grew up in America though he was born in Germany.
- Fake Brit: Goes for an Oop North twang in The Messenger and again in Geostorm.
- I See Dead People: Weirdly enough, Robert Sheehan seems to get this role fairly often, with both of his biggest roles centering around this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Many of the characters he plays are this to some extent.
- Playing Against Type: Misfits typecast him as wiseasses and quirky characters. In Love/Hate, he plays a reformed criminal who is slowly corrupted back into the crime world.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Often plays these kind of characters, too.
- Star-Making Role: Misfits got him a serious amount of attention. The surprise success of Love/Hate is a pretty significant turning point in his career too. The Umbrella Academy has managed to finally top Misfits as his most well known role.