Robert Ridgely (December 24, 1931-February 8, 1997) had a long career as a character actor and voiceover artist.
He started out as a cabaret entertainer before serving as a talk show host in the 1960's with Woody Woodbury. He went into acting, guesting on TV series such as Bonanza, Coach, Designing Women, Maverick, Newhart, Night Court, Wings and WKRP in Cincinnati; he was also a regular on the short-lived World War II drama The Gallant Men in 1962. He also acted in several films; among other roles, he became part of Mel Brooks' Production Posse, appearing in four of Brooks' movies.
Ridgely also played many animated roles. His ability to do a convicing hero voice served him well in action/adventure series such as Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle, Flash Gordon (1979), Thundarr the Barbarian, Centurions and Sky Commanders. In animated works, he was frequently credited as Bob Ridgely.
Notable Live-Action Film Roles:
- Beverly Hills Cop II: Mayor Egan
- Blazing Saddles: Boris (uncredited)
- Boogie Nights: Colonel James
- Fire Down Below: Simon
- Hard Eight: Keno bar manager
- High Anxiety: Flasher
- Life Stinks: Ferguson
- Multiplicity: Laura's Father
- Philadelphia: Walter Kenton
- The Ref: Bob Burley
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights: Hangman
- That Thing You Do!: Hollywood Showcase Announcer
Notable Animation Roles:
- The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo: Captain Ferguson in the episode "Ship of Ghouls"
- The Addams Family (1992): Additional voices in the second season
- Batman: The Animated Series: Madman in the episode "Appointment in Crime Alley"
- Bonkers: Al Vermin and Z Bot
- Centurions: Rex Charger, Gog in the "Man or Machine" mini-series, Gabe Knight in the episode "Zone Dancer"
- Challenge of the GoBots: Buggyman and Fly Trap
- Cow and Chicken: Dr. Chunks in the episode "Part Time Job"
- Dexter's Laboratory: Commander Chief and additional voices in the Dial M for Monkey segment (first season)
- Down and Dirty Duck: Car Salesman, Man at Bus Stop, Negro Gentleman, Big Fag, Police Officer, Tank
- DuckTales (1987): Launchpad McQuack's father Ripcord McQuack and Bomber Beagle
- Fantastic Four: Skrull Emperor
- Fish Police: Bob Sharks
- Flash Gordon (1979): Flash Gordon
- Goof Troop: The Great Garbonzo in the episode "Talent to the Max"
- Gravedale High: Additional voices
- The Incredible Hulk (1982): General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
- James Bond Jr.: Walker D. Plank
- The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat: Additional voices
- Paw Paw Bears: Mighty Paw
- Peter and the Magic Egg: Cotton and Tobias Tinwhiskers
- Puff the Magic Dragon specials: Mr. Nobody and various other smaller roles
- Richie Rich (1980): The Collector
- Sky Commanders: General Mike Summit
- The Snorks: Mr. Kelp
- Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends: Kraven the Hunter in the episode "The Crime of All Centuries"
- Strawberry Shortcake: The Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak in the 1980s specials
- SWAT Kats: Dr. Harley Street in "The Ci-Kat-A" and the unfinished episode "The Doctors of Doom"
- Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle: Tarzan
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987): Groundchuck
- Thundarr the Barbarian: Thundarr and Zoa's Minion