René Murat Auberjonois (June 1, 1940 December 8, 2019) was an American actor, singer and voice artist.
Born in New York City and raised in Paris, Auberjonois came from distinguished stock. His father was a Pulitzer Prize-winning foreign correspondent, while his paternal grandfather and namesake was a prominent Swiss post-impressionist painter. On his mother's side of the family, he was the great-great-great-grandnephew of Napoléon Bonaparte, whose sister Caroline married Joachim Murat, one of Napoleon's generals.
In films, Auberjonois portrayed Father Mulcahy in M*A*S*H, and Chef Louis in The Little Mermaid, in which he sang "Les Poissons". In the American animated musical comedy film, Cats Don't Dance, Auberjonois lent his voice as Flanagan, the human film director of "Li'l Ark Angel", and in Fallout: New Vegas, to the mysterious Mojave mogul Mister House. He also did the voice of Janos Audron from the Legacy of Kain series.
But perhaps his most familiar role would be as Security Chief Odo in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Other TV roles included Clayton Endicott III on Benson and Paul Lewiston on Boston Legal. He also lent his voice to many animated series, including Challenge of the GoBots (as Dr. Braxis), Pound Puppies (2010) (as McLeish), Pepé Le Pew in The Looney Tunes Show, and Desaad for the final two seasons of Super Friends (the Super Powers era) and many years later in Justice League (replacing Robert Morse from Superman: The Animated Series), where he also voiced space pirate Kanjar Ro. In 2018 he reprised the role of Odo for Star Trek Online's Victory Is Life expansion.
Film roles on this wiki:
- Petulia (1968) as Fred Six
- M*A*S*H (1970) as Father John "Dago Red" Mulcahy
- Brewster McCloud (1970) as The Lecturer
- McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) as Sheehan
- Images (1972) as Hugh
- The Hindenburg (1975) as Major Napier
- The Big Bus (1976) as Father Kudos
- King Kong (1976) as Roy Bagley
- Where the Buffalo Roam (1980) as Harris
- The Last Unicorn (1982) as The Skull (voice)
- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987) as Modoc
- Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988) as Tony
- The Little Mermaid (1989) as Louis (voice)
- The Player (1992) as Himself
- Batman Forever (1995) as Dr. Burton
- Cats Don't Dance (1997) as Flanigan (voice)
- The Patriot (2000) as Reverend Oliver
- The Princess Diaries (2001) as Philippe Renaldi (voice)