Ward Taylor Pendleton Johnston (born September 23, 1982 in San Antonio, Texas), known professionally as Pendleton "Pen" Ward, is best known as the creator of Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors, as well as the co-creator of The Midnight Gospel.
Other works Pendleton Ward has worked on:
- Adventure Time: Creator, writer, storyboard artist, & voice actor (Lumpy Space Princess).
- Bee And Puppy Cat: Animatic editor, voice director and writer.
- Bravest Warriors: Creator.
- Broken Age: Voice actor (Gus).
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Writer & storyboard artist (11 episodes).
- Over the Garden Wall: Writer & storyboard artist ("Songs of the Dark Lantern").
- The Simpsons: Voice Actor (Couch Gag for "Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus")
- Steven Universe: Writer & storyboard artist ("Familiar").
- Uncle Grandpa: Special guest writer & director ("For Pete, Love Pen").
- Random! Cartoons: Director (two episodes).
- The Midnight Gospel: Co-creator and executive producer.
- City of Ghosts: Writer, storyboard artist & director ("Bob & Nancy").
- Psychonauts 2: Guest animator.
Tropes Associated With Pen Ward and his Work
- Reclusive Artist: Ward has described himself as a notoriously shy, private individual and his public appearances and online presence have notably dwindled since stepping down from producing Adventure Time.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Both Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors are middling but mostly on the idealistic end of the scale.
- Thin-Line Animation: Ward pioneered the modern version of this style.
- White-and-Grey Morality: At least 90% of his villains are at least somewhat human and sympathetic. His heroes are flawed but still likable and easy to root for.