He has carved out a niche in the business of being hard-working and staying within budget. His first major breakthrough was directing the first Mortal Kombat movie, which managed to get some major critics supporting it, appeal to a mainstream audience and make its money back. Today the movie is regarded as a bit of a Cult Classic. He has since been involved with several other video-game inspired movies, all with a similar degree of respect, mainly the Resident Evil movies. In other words, he is the "rich man's Uwe Boll."
He's married to Milla Jovovich.
Not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson, although both have gone by merely Paul Anderson before, or with science fiction author Poul Anderson.
- DOA: Dead or Alive (contrary to popular belief, Anderson produced it, yet did not direct it)
- Mortal Kombat
- Event Horizon
- Resident Evil and three of its sequels (he also produced the ones he didn't direct).
- AVP: Alien vs. Predator
- Death Race
- The Three Musketeers (2011)
Anderson's work provide examples of:
- Action Genre: Most of the films he directed are usually some variation of action (often mixed with Fantasy, Science Fiction and/or Horror).
- Sequel Hook: Of his directorial efforts, all but Pompeii (obviously) have some variation on Bolivian Army Ending, The End... Or Is It?, or And the Adventure Continues. Fortunately for him, almost all have been followed up on at some point, for better or worse.
- Video Game Movies: He directed Mortal Kombat and 4 Resident Evil films. He was also a producer of DOA: Dead or Alive, a loose adaptation of the Dead or Alive games.