Pamela Dean is an American SF and fantasy writer, best known for The Secret Country series. She has also written short stories set in the Liavek Shared Universe. She also began a Liavek novel, but seems to have put it aside for the moment in order to complete the fifth Secret Country book, Abiding Reflection.
The Secret Country books
- The Secret Country Trilogy, about a group of five cousins who find themselves in a world they thought they had invented for their games.
- The Secret Country
- The Hidden Land
- The Whim of the Dragon
- The Dubious Hills is set in the same world, but takes place in a different area and involves different characters.
- Tam Lin, which retells the Tam Lin story in a modern college setting
- Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary, which involves three sisters and their neighbor, who wants to build a Time Machine in their house.
Works by Pamela Dean with their own pages include:
- The Secret Country 'verse
Other works by Pamela Dean contain examples of:
- Crosscast Role: In the school production of Twelfth Night in Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary, both Malvolio and Antonio are cast as girls.
- The Fair Folk: In Tam Lin. They are described as absolutely alien: "like linear A. They look as if they ought to mean something, but you can't tell what it is."
- My Grandson Myself: In Tam Lin, there are a couple of references that indicate that Professor Medeous, aka the Queen of Faerie, has done this at least once.
- Really 700 Years Old: Nick and Robin in Tam Lin.
- Show Within the Show:
- This Is My Side: In Tam Lin, one of the older students tells Janet that last year she and her roommate had to set up a clothesline with sheets in the middle of the room, and the roommate would go out through the window because the door wasn't on her side.