Omar Sharif (born Michel Dimitri Chalhoub; April 10, 1932- July 10, 2015) was an Egyptian actor. Born in Alexandria to a family of Lebanese origins, he came up through the Egyptian film industry of the 1950s before breaking into worldwide cinema playing Sherif Ali in 1962's Lawrence of Arabia. After Lawrence, he is best remembered for Doctor Zhivago and Funny Girl. He continued appearing in both Egyptian and international films until shortly before his death in 2015.
He was fluent in Arabic, English, French, Italian and Spanish, which allowed him to be cast as a wide range of characters of various ethnicities during his 60-year-long career.
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962): Sherif Ali.
- The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964): Sohamus.
- Genghis Khan (1965): Genghis Khan.
- Doctor Zhivago (1965): Dr. Yuri Andreyevich Zhivago.
- The Night of the Generals (1967): Major Grau.
- Funny Girl (1968): Nicky Arnstein.
- Mackenna's Gold (1969): John Colorado.
- The Last Valley (1971): Vogel.
- The Mysterious Island (1973): Captain Nemo.
- Juggernaut (1974): Captain Alex Brunel.
- The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976): Egyptian assassin.
- Oh! Heavenly Dog (1981): Bart.
- Top Secret! (1984): Agent Cedric.
- Gullivers Travels (1996): The Sorcerer.
- Mysteries of Egypt (1998): Grandfather.
- The 13th Warrior (1999): Melchisideck.
- Hidalgo (2004): Sheikh Riyadh.
- Money, Dear Boy: Sharif liked to gamble and admitted that he sometimes accepted roles just to make up for the money he had lost.