Octavia Lenora Spencer (born May 25, 1972 in Montgomery, Alabama) is an American actress.
Spencer is perhaps best known for her Oscar-winning role as Minny Jackson in The Help, which came after a long string of minor (frequently unnamed) roles in films and television. She's since earned two other Oscar nominations for her performances in Hidden Figures and The Shape of Water.
Because of those roles, she's only the second-ever black actress to earn a minimum of three Oscar nominations, and the first to be nominated over two consecutive years; she's also tied with Viola Davis for being the most-nominated black actress in Oscar history.
She's since appeared in many other films, including The Divergent Series and Snowpiercer. Additionally, some of her more recent television credits include Mom and Red Band Society. She also played Harriet Tubman in an episode of Drunk History.
- A Time to Kill (1996) as Ellen's nurse
- Never Been Kissed (1999) as Cynthia
- Ugly Betty (2007) as Constance Grady
- Seven Pounds (2008) as Kate
- Halloween II (2009) as Nurse Daniels
- Raising the Bar (2009) as Arvina Watkins
- Dinner for Schmucks (2010) as Madame Nora
- The Help (2011) as Minny Jackson note
- Fruitvale Station (2013) as Wanda
- Snowpiercer (2013) as Tanya
- Mom (2013 — present) as Regina
- Red Band Society (2014 — 2015) as Nurse Dena Jackson
- Get On Up (2014) as Aunt Honey Washington
- Black or White (2015) as Rowena Jeffers
- The Divergent Series (2015 — 2016) as Johanna Reyes:
- The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)
- The Divergent Series: Allegiant (2016)
- Drunk History (2015) as Harriet Tubman
- Zootopia (2016) as Mrs. Otterton (voice)
- Hidden Figures (2016) as Dorothy Vaughan note
- The Shape of Water (2017) as Zelda Fuller note
- A Kid Like Jake (2018)
- Ma (2019) as Sue Ann "Ma" Ellington
- Onward (2020) as Corey
- The Witches (2020) as Grandmamma