Molly Ostertag (born October 28, 1991) is an American comic book artist, children's book author, and cartoon writer. Among the comics and TV series she's drawn for include Strong Female Protagonist, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and Shattered Warrior.
- Strong Female Protagonist: artist
- Tales of the Night Watchman: artist
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: prop designer
- Thundercats Roar: writer
- Shattered Warrior: artist
- The Witch Boy series
- How The Best Hunter In The Village Met Her Death
- The Owl House: writer
Tropes present in her works:
- Author Appeal:
- Cat Folk, such as Feral in Strong Female Protagonist and Celia in Alleycat. Of note is that Molly owns two cats, Fig and Toast, and shares her birthday with Catra.
- Her settings tend to have Grey and Gray Morality or White and Grey Morality, with mostly sympathetic characters with understandable reasons for clashing, at worst being Tragic Monsters or Knight Templars.
- Many of her works contain queer characters and relationships, and some are constructed as metaphors for coming out as gay, such as in The Witch Boy or How The Best Hunter In The Village Met Her Death. Molly herself is a lesbian.
- A recurring device in her comics is the use of bold color panels to convey emotion, filling the entire panel behind a character to portray their feelings. This can be seen in SFP's pages like here.
- Art Evolution: The progression of her art can be seen most clearly in Strong Female Protagonist. In the earlier chapters, the art is grayscale, the lines are thinner, and the characters are drawn with more angles and hard corners. As the series moves on, color enters the setting, especially when conveying emotion, the lines get thicker, closeups of faces become more common, and characters become rounder and softer in design.
- Big Name Fan: For Killing Eve, Riverdale, and The Lord of the Rings. She also made a cameo in She-Ra during Princess Prom.