Misha Collins, born Dmitri Tippens Krushnic on August 20, 1974, is an actor who's appeared on such shows as Nip/Tuck, Charmed, 24, CSI, ER, NCIS, and Stonehenge Apocalypse. However, he's best known for his role as fallen angel Castiel on the hit CW show Supernatural.
Reports that he's trying to take over the world have been wildly exaggerated — he's already achieved world domination and you just haven't noticed yet.
Tropes that apply to this actor's career include:
- Breakout Character: As the angel Castiel in Supernatural.
- Directed by Cast Member: The seventeenth episode of season 9.
- Doing It for the Art: Pretty much his life philosophy. It's also a handy justification for, say, wearing a suit made entirely of cheese or wanting to drop a bus into an active volcano just to see what happens."One of the things that I like to do in life is attacking things that seem impossible, and then accomplishing them, and sort of shattering the boundaries of what we think is possible."
- Fan Nickname: In the fandom he's sometimes referred to as MishMish or "The Overlord". Also Misha Trollins for some of his, er, fan interactions.
- Fanservice: His role in Nip/Tuck involved him stretching and bending all around. Cause he's extremely flexible, you know.note It turns out he's that flexible because of a spinal defect. Apparently his doctor warned him that he could become paralyzed if he overdoes it.
- Guttural Growler: Averted. Castiel might be gruff and growly, but Misha's real voice is much higher and smoother. Apparently, Misha figured that Castiel's intro episode would be a one-time thing and so adopted a gruff, tough-guy voice. Four seasons later, Misha joked that Castiel's voice is giving him throat problems.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Aside from acting, he's also interned at the White House, built his own house, founded a charitable organization, leads the greatest international scavenger hunt the world has ever seen, and learned Tibetan throat singing, among other things.
- Name's the Same: Collins seemed to be the only mainstream Misha until the summer of 2016, when Mishovy Silenosti, a young YouTuber from the Czech Republic uploaded a song about the then-popular Pokemon GO and started making the rounds thanks to certain big-name YouTubers, as well as SiIvaGunner.
- Old Shame:
- Karla, in which he portrayed real-life serial rapist/killer Paul Bernardo. He initially believed that the script was fiction, and didn't discover it was a Dramatization Based on a True Story until the movie's press tour. Since then, he has condemned the film in multiple press and convention interviews and continually asks his fans to not watch it.
- His McDonald's commercial. Just look at his reaction to hearing it might be on tumblr.
- As one commenter on the linked video puts it, "That's the first time I've ever seen someone have an allergic reaction to their career."
- Playing Against Type: The humorless, uptight, conservative, virginal Cas is basically the opposite of Misha himself in every way. He has confirmed that the wildly altered future version of Castiel seen in the fifth-season episode "The End" is disturbingly similar to his real-life personality, noting that he enjoyed preparing for the orgy scenes. He probably only auditioned for Castiel because the part was advertised as a demon, rather than an angel.