Mike Flanagan (May 20, 1978 in Salem, Massachusetts) is an American director and screenwriter.
He is best known for his horror films, all of which he directed, wrote, and edited. He also created, directed, produced and wrote the Netflix supernatural horror series The Haunting of Hill House, based on Shirley Jackson's novel of the same name.
- Absentia (2011)
- Oculus (2013)
- Hush (2016)
- Before I Wake (2016)
- Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)
- Gerald's Game (2017)
- The Haunting of Hill House (2018)
- Doctor Sleep (2019)
Tropes & Trivia in his works:
- Anyone Can Die: No character is safe in Mike Flanagan's films, especially his protagonists.
- Creator In-Joke: The Lasser Glass from Oculus will at times make its appearances in his films with the exception of Absentia.
- Dysfunctional Family: A recurring element in his work between Oculus, Before I Wake and The Haunting of Hill House.
- Parents as People: Played for drama and even horror in Oculus, Before I Wake and The Haunting of Hill House.
- Production Posse: If you see his projects, expect his wife Kate Siegel to show up a lot. Not that it's a bad thing considering Siegel's own talent as an actress.
- Others include Henry Thomas, Carla Gugino and Elizabeth Reaser.
- Signature Style: He sticks to the Psychological Horror genre.