Margaret Mahy ONZ (21 March 1936 23 July 2012) was a prolific and award-winning New Zealand author of Young Adult and Children's Literature.
Works by Margaret Mahy with their own trope pages include:
Other works by Margaret Mahy provide examples of:
- After the End: Maddigan's Fantasia is set some time 'after the Great Chaos changed the shape of the world'. The Chaos itself is never described or hinted at, but the entire series is spent trying to ensure that the existing state of things doesn't get any worse.
- Alien Among Us: Aliens in the Family
- Circus Brat: The protagonist of Maddigan's Fantasia, Garland, is the daughter of the circus' Ringmaster.
- The Constant: In Aliens in the Family, there's an heirloom necklace that shows up in every time period the protagonist visits.
- Double-Meaning Title: The children in Aliens in the Family are learning to get along with a new step-father and step-sister — and also sheltering an actual alien.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: "The Devil and the Corner Grocer" (in The Chewing-Gum Rescue and Other Stories) has the grocer feel a chill whenever the villain walks into the shop. At the climax, the demon manifests without his disguise, and it's freezing — until the grocer calls on the angel who's also been appearing throughout the story, who turns up with a much more convivial temperature.
- Hellish Pupils: The Hot Witch in Alchemy has eyes that initially appear normal, but turn yellow and catlike when examined closely. Somewhat surprisingly, she's a good guy—the antagonist is even creepier.
- Hot Librarian: Played for Laughs with Miss Laburnum from The Librarian and the Robbers.
- I Just Write the Thing: The entire point of "A Villain's Night Out."
- Meaningful Name: Bond, the protagonist of Aliens in the Family, becomes the catalyst that strengthens the bonds between his new friends. It's also, as one of them remarks (to his bemusement, as he's ignorant of Earth pop culture), an appropriate name for a man who is on a dangerous secret mission.
- Pirate: The Great Piratical Rambustification, The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage
- A Pirate 400 Years Too Late: The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage
- Stranger in a Strange School: The Blood-and-Thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak