Often collaborating with other YouTubers, Mah-Dry-Bread is perhaps best known for his "Flash Trash" series, in which he and GodfreyGames play bad Adobe Flash horror games, "Payday 101," in which he analyses various weapons and skill builds in Payday 2, and his Creepypasta Readings, usually written and submitted by members of his forum.
He also has a weekly Pokémon Challenge video in which he sees if he can beat a Pokemon game with limits on Pokemon (such as only one member of a Pokemon species, Pokemon gotten through trade, or Honey tree Pokemon), a certain move handicap (no new moves after its caught, only Metronome), or no free healing (such as at a Pokemon Center or places that work similar to Pokemon centers such as your bedroom).
He is also one of the founding members of the weekly charity livestream "Pass the Controller Please," and appears on HeroTheyCallMe's wrestling podcast, "Hero is Wrestling."
Tropes Related to Mah-Dry-Bread:
- Accidental Pun: Happens frequently. Mostly pointed out by his Co-Hosts.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Says something to this degree whenever a Co-Host tells a bad joke that he enjoys.
- "Awesome McCool" Name:
- Medraut Stowe. Can also apply to his WWE career mode character, Manbar.
- "Pablo Rodriguez, Suave Latin Lover" also comes to mind.
- Badass Beard: Shaved in July 2016 in an attempt to combat the humidity, but as that didn't help, it's making a gradual return to its former glory.
- Been There, Shaped History: Has several play-throughs of games such as Crusader Kings 2 and Hearts of Iron 4 where he defies history by changing the outcome of a war or changing the political system of a country.
- Berserk Button:
- Bad grammar to the point of not being to comprehend what he is reading.
- A story being written around a mental illness, and the author being ignorant on how that mental illness works.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Just look at them.
- Determinator: When it comes to editing or getting a game to run? He'll do anything you can possibly imagine and then a few more ideas just to provide content to his viewers
- He has played an incredibly old game called Konung: Legend of the North. An old Russian game made in 1999. The description of what he had to do to get the game recording has to be heard to be done justice. The story takes 10 minutes to tell.
- Several of his Pokémon challenge runs qualify. Perhaps the clearest example occurs during his Wobbuffet-only run in Pokémon Emerald. He has to acquire a Leftovers, but the only way to get one is with a level 81 Zizagoon's Pick-Up Ability. This requires training the Zizagoon through an Experience Share, which is a slow grind in of itself, and then fight wild Pokémon until the ability activates; something that has only a 1/1000 chance of occurring. And then there is a 1% chance of getting one when the ability activates. He does the entire grind, getting his item.
- Epic Fail:
- A few Flash Trash episodes, but most notably The Nightmare Realm, which had to be heavily edited down due to spending too much time trying to figure out how to get through a forest.
- Fan Community Nickname: Frequently called Mo as a shortening of Mah-Dry-Bread or MDB.
- Fan Nickname: In his Friday the 13th streams, Part 7 Jason is regularly referred to as "Frog Suit Jason" due to that version of Jason having pretty bad stats, with his biggest strength being his water speed (a rather useless ability, compared to his weaknesses).
- Insistent Terminology: Canadian Bacon is not Ham. You're thinking of Peameal Bacon. Ham is Ham.
- In his Pokemon challenge runs, he calls Gyarados "Water Onix".
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: He's mostly known for his Creepypasta Readings. Despite them being a very small part of his channel and him thinking of them as his least good videos (Excluding his early videos).
- This is no longer the case as of the late 2010s/early 2020s, as his Franchise/Pokemon challenges made him absolutely skyrocket in popularity and defined his content going forward (dwarfing the popularity of anything he had ever done previously) and he has made it absolutely clear that he loves doing them.
- Running Gag:
- The Forbidden Word Explanation
- "How Does it Feel to be as dumb as Brandon?"
- 4/5, 7/10 Explanation
- "You can do it Goku!" Explanation
- "Use a Net Ball!"
- "Proofread, send to friends!" Explanation
- I was gonna add another example, but fuck it. To be specific, buttfuck it. Explanation
- !ye! Explanation
- "While I'm in Mt. Moon, I pick the Helix Fossil. I know that if I didn't say, you'd all be asking in the comments ... actually, do comment anyway; comments are good for the Youtube algorithm." Explanation
- Sarcasm Mode: Happens a lot.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Does a lot of these in his Pokémon videos.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Godfrey Games to the point where "as dumb as Brandon" is a common simile.
- You Make Me Sic: Tends to happen frequently, considering he's a Grammar Nazi. It's even more likely to happen whenever Whattageek is co-commentating. Note