Luke McGarry (born October 11, 1987) is an British cartoonist, animator, and musician based in Los Angeles. His comic takes on pop culture, politics, and modern life have gained an internet following with over 42,000 followers on Instagram since 2014, and since 2017 many are reposted on Go Comics as "TLDR". They tend to be pretty punny.
Luke became one of MAD's Usual Gang of Idiots with the magazine's reboot in 2018. He currently writes two ongoing series: "The 27 Club", about the legendary group of dead musicians returning to Earth to fight crime, and "The Chancers", about who must be the world's pushiest Stage Dad.
He is also the lead singer of Pop Noir, a duo with his twin brother, Joe.
Might need Wiki Magic Love and a touch-up.
Luke's work contains examples of:
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Usually averted to hell and back- literally for "The 27 Club", allegedly causing the higher-ups at MAD to almost cancel the strip for fear of a lawsuit from the estates.
[[folder:The 27 Club]]
- Audience Surrogate: Tom Petty in the first issue.
- The Cameo: Various deceased musicians appear in the opening panels in Rock N' Roll Heaven.
- Christmas Episode: 2018's "It's A Wonderful Death".
- Deal with the Devil: In accordance with the legend about Robert.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Robert's home, sweet home.
- Fluffy Cloud Heaven: Home, sweet home for everyone else.
- Karma Houdini: In Aug 2018, the club gets away scot-free for (unknowingly) destroying Universal Studios and murdering hundreds of actors
- Mr. Exposition: Prince in the first issue, explaining to Tom Petty the team's various powers.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: They tend to cause a lot more trouble than they prevent.
- Real-Person Fic: Dead Person Fic, really.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Brian Jones drowns every episode.
- Waxing Lyrical: Bound to pop up every now and then.
- Alliterative Name: Chesney Chancer.
- Christmas Episode: A one-page story in the same issue as Its a Wonderful Death.
- Missing Mom
- Named After Somebody Famous: J.B explains that when he was born, his dad wanted to give him a head-start in stardom by naming him after the biggest pop act in the world. So J.B's full name is Jonas Brother Chancer.
- Punny Name: Necro Chancer.
- Talking Animal: Mr. Biscuits.
- Wham Line: The final pages of Apr 2019 reveal that Mr. Biscuits can talk