Lawrence Edward Kasdan (born January 14, 1949) is a well-known film screenwriter and director.
He originally trained to be a teacher, but when he couldnt get hired as such, he became an advertising copywriter. He hated the job, but it didnt affect his performance as the Clio Award he won indicates.
He finally moved to Hollywood and finally got into movies when his script for The Bodyguard was finally bought after 36 rejections. It remained in Development Hell until 1992, when it was made into a very successful vehicle for Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner.
However, he got his big break when he sold his script for Continental Divide to Steven Spielberg. Spielbergs friend and colleague George Lucas took notice, hiring him to write the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark and then later on to finish the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back and help write Return of the Jedi. His impact on the films was hugely helpful, insofar as it replaced Lucas infamously clunky dialogue for smoothly believable, even poetic when called for, lines. Basically, if the best lines spoken werent improvised by the actors, Kasdan wrote them.
Heres an example of Kasdans skill at work with one of Yodas most profound lines:
- Lucas version: Not material are we. Luminous beings are we, tied together by the Force. Yes. There are two of you your body and your energy.
- Kasdans version: Luminous beings are we [pinches Lukes skin], not this crude matter.
Nowadays, his stature as a big part of the talent that made Star Wars so great has grown so much that the fandom celebrated when it became known that he would help write Episode VII: The Force Awakens.
Films written and/or directed:
- Star Wars:
- Body Heat (1981) (writer and director)
- Continental Divide (1981) (writer)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (screenplay co-writer)
- The Big Chill (1983) (co-writer and director)
- Silverado (1985) (co-writer and director)
- The Accidental Tourist (1988) (screenplay co-adapter and director)
- I Love You to Death (1990) (director)
- Grand Canyon (1991) (co-writer and director)
- The Bodyguard (1992) (writer)
- Wyatt Earp (1994) (co-writer and director)
- French Kiss (1995) (director)
- Mumford (1999) (writer and director)
- Dreamcatcher (2003) (screenplay co-adapter and director)
- Darling Companion (2012) (co-writer and director)