Nick has had a greater on-stage presence as an actor. He also handles much of the puppet work. He worked on soapnet.com and was a part of the Gossip Girl finger puppets, which have reached Memetic Mutation in that fandom.
Tropes that apply to them include:
- Descended Creator: Even though Nick is very well-liked among Starkid fans as an actor, he generally prefers to stay offstage in Starkid projects, since they're usually musicals and he considers himself a weak singer and dancer. That said, Starkid fans consider both his main roles in Holy Musical B@man! and Ani extremely memorable, and are constantly looking for cameos by him in other projects.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Nick's first onscreen appearance as Kevin Bushwald in Little White Lie (where Kevin is a Shrinking Violet who only comes alive when singing and playing the guitar) is pretty much the exact inverse of what Nick considers his talents to be.
- Mister Big: Is the shortest and skinniest of the male Starkids by a pretty wide margin, and is also the owner of the company (along with his brother) who serves as their public face. Has done a fair amount of Self-Deprecation over this, including when writing himself the role of Robin in Holy Musical B@man!, and when talking about the fact that he stood in for Lauren Lopez once in The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals (including being able to fit into her costume).
- Non-Singing Voice: In Little White Lie, when a recording is played of Nick's character Kevin singing, it is a recording Darren Criss' voice sped up.
- The Show Must Go On: Nick once stepped in to play the role of Emma for a performance of The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals, when the Lauren Lopez fell ill. He's made it very clear that this was the very last resort and he seems uncomfortable when it's brought up.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Nick has joked about becoming this — in early 2020 he traveled to stay with his brother Matt and Matt's girlfriend Rusty's home in Wichita, KS for a one-month-long writer's retreat so they could work on "Workin' Boys" and Nerdy Prudes Must Die! Then the COVID-19 Pandemic hit, and Nick was trapped in Matt and Rusty's house for over a year as a result — which wasn't the most comfortable situation, what with him only having packed one suitcase of clothes. Luckily, Matt and Nick being trapped in one house for a year is what led to the creation of Nightmare Time.
- Unfortunate Names: Nick Lang has a coincidental one. He shares the name of a porn star, which makes looking him up on Google Images kinda impossible.
- Creator In-Joke: Matt is the source of one of the most obscure and bizarre Starkid in-jokes, the song "Liam's Got a Phone Call". (The story is that when Matt and Darren Criss lived together with a third roommate, Liam White, Liam frequently received phone calls, leading Darren and Matt to one day improvise a song on the spot about this fact while Liam was on the phone. This got included as a "bonus track" on the SPACE Tour song list and picked up by the Starkid fandom, who largely repeated it without knowing anything about where it came from.)
- The Ghost: Because he is not an actor, Matt has gained this status to fans
- Silent Partner: Aside from not appearing as an actor (save for one brief appearance as an extra in Little White Lie) Matt is also a generally shy and private person, who has rarely appeared at fan events or in livestreams. Nick almost always speaks on his behalf when relaying information about "Team Starkid" as a whole, especially after Matt and his girlfriend moved to Wichita, Kansas and can't be physically involved with the shows.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: He looks very similar to Nick and is often mistaken for him in his rare public appearances.
- Little White Lie (2007)
- The Very Potter trilogy (2009 - 2012)
- Me and My Dick (2009)
- Starship (2011)
- Holy Musical B@man! (2012)
- Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier (2013)
- Ani (2014)
- The Trail to Oregon! (2014)
- Firebringer (2016)
- The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals (2018)
- Black Friday (2019)
- Nightmare Time (2020)
- Little White Lie (2007): Kevin Bushwald
- The Very Potter trilogy (2009 - 2012): the Sorting Hat, the Scarf of Sexual Preference, Arthur Weasley, Peter Pettigrew
- Starship (2011): Mister Bug, the Caller Bug
- Holy Musical B@man! (2012): Robin
- Ani (2014): Emperor Palpatine and Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Nightmare Time (2020): Narrator