Kyra Minturn Sedgwick (born August 19, 1965 in New York City, New York) is an American actor. She hails from Upper Manhattan's socialite circles; her cousin is the late model and actor Edie Sedgwick, who worked with Andy Warhol in the '60s, inspired the songs "Like a Rolling Stone" and "All Tomorrow's Parties", and had her life dramatized in the film Factory Girl.
She is best known for her portrayal of Georgia-born, CIA-trained Brenda Leigh Johnson, Chief of the LAPD's Major Crimes Division, on TNT's crime drama The Closer. She received six Emmy Award nominations for the role — finally winning in 2010 — and won a Golden Globe in 2007.
- Born on the Fourth of July (1989) as Donna
- Singles (1992) as Linda Powell
- Heart and Souls (1993) as Julia
- Murder in the First (1995) as Blanche
- Something to Talk About (1995) as Emma Rae King
- Phenomenon (1996) as Lace Pennamin
- What's Cooking? (2000) as Rachel Seelig
- Labor Pains (2000) as Sarah Raymond
- Secondhand Lions (2003) as Mae
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003) as Batwoman
- The Woodsman (2004) as Vicki
- Loverboy (2005) as Emily Stoll
- The Game Plan (2007) as Stella Peck
- Gamer (2009) as Gina Parker Smith
- Man on a Ledge (2012) as Suzie Morales
- The Possession (2012) as Stephanie Brenek
- Kill Your Darlings (2013) as Marian Carr
- Reach Me (2014) as Colette
- Cop Car (2015) as Dispatch
- The Edge of Seventeen (2016) as Mona
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (2022) as herself (voice only)
- Creator Couple: Her husband Kevin Bacon has directed several episodes of The Closer, and she was an executive producer on one of his films. They also shared the screen as the alpha couple in the Romantic Comedy Pyrates.
- Real-Life Relative: She's co-starred with Kevin Bacon four times. Their daughter Sosie played Brenda's niece Charlene during Season 4 of The Closer.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Once upon a time, Kyra met a woman named Mary McDonnell and hit it off with her in spectacular fashion. The two decided they absolutely had to work together, and so a character called Sharon Raydor, Internal Affairs cop and annoyance extraordinaire, joined The Closer. Three years later, when Kyra took her last bow as Brenda Leigh Johnson, she passed the reins of the Major Crimes Division to... Mary McDonnell.
- Romance on the Set: Met her husband Kevin Bacon on the set of the 1988 film Lemon Sky.