Pardon me, but are you a fan of Shakespeare? Do you have a penchant for watching acclaimed crime shows that are centered around or inspired by Shakespearean narratives and themes? Well you have Kurt Leon Sutter (born May 5, 1960), an American screenwriter, director, producer, and actor for such shows. He has worked as a producer, writer, and director on The Shield, and also appeared on the show as Armenian mobster Margos Dezerian. Sutter is also the creator of Sons of Anarchy on FX; he wrote, produced, and directed the series, as well as playing incarcerated club member Otto Delaney. He also co-created the Sons of Anarchy spinoff Mayans M.C., which premiered in 2018, serving as its show-runner until his dismissal in October 2019 due to "inappropriate behavior" backstage (though, at that point, he handed the reins to the series over to co-creator Elgin James).
He is married to actress and singer Katey Sagal, who played Gemma Teller Morrow in Sons of Anarchy.
Has a Twitter account.
- The Shield (2002-2008)
- Sons of Anarchy (2008-2014)
- The Bastard Executioner (2015)
- Mayans M.C. (2018-)
Tropes common to Sutter and his works include:
- Anti-Hero: The Strike Team in The Shield, SAMCRO in Sons of Anarchy, the Mayans in, well, Mayans MC.
- Bittersweet Ending / Downer Ending:
- The Shield: The Shield ends with Vic stuck in a desk job with no action or authority, Shane dead, Ronnie being sold out by Vic, and Claudette's lupus becoming terminal.
- Sons of Anarchy: Jax kills himself after crossing too many lines (wanted by the police for murdering Charles Barosky and August Marks in broad daylight, the emotional turmoil of having to kill his own mother, Gemma Teller Morrow, as well as Wayne Unser, heat from the entire MC over killing Jury White, and heat from the IRA over the death of Brendan Roarke), and the bulk of people we have come to care about are dead. But SAMCRO has successfully moved out of the gun business and Abel and Thomas are ensured not to follow in the same dark, bloody, and tragic path as their father and grandfather before them.