Kosuke Fujishima (born July 7, 1964) is a Japanese mangaka best known as the author of two bestselling manga stories, You're Under Arrest! and Ah! My Goddess, and a relatively obscure series, éX-Driver. He began his career as an assistant mangaka to Tatsuya Egawa, (of Golden Boy and Tokyo Daigaku Monogatari fame) and as an editor of Puff, a manga magazine.
Fujishima-sensei is an automobile and motorcycle enthusiast, which is reflected on almost all of his works. All of the three stories he authored heavily featured real models of cars and motorcycles (to Technology Porn levels), especially in éX-Driver, where cars are actually relevant to the plot. He was also able to show off his expertise in machines as the mechanical designer of the PS2 game Gungrave.
His few but prolific and acclaimed works include:
- You're Under Arrest!
- Ah! My Goddess, running for 26 years, from September 1988 to April 2014
- Paradise Residence
Tropes Commonly Associated within Fujishima's works:
- Art Evolution: most apparent with Ah! My Goddess, which saw the evolution of Belldandy from "supernatural-looking" to the serene face we recognize today. Also works for Urd, Skuld and Keiichi.
- Motorcycle on the Coast Road: Given that at least one character in every series he wrote owns a moped or a bike, this is bout to pop up once in a while.
- Only Six Faces: Although none of the characters for each series look alike, Fujishima tends to borrow character designs from his previous works, creating a Reused Character Design of sorts.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Miyuki and Natsumi in You're Under Arrest, Lisa and Lorna in e'X-D.
- Technology Porn: Let's have a drinking game. For every time an accurate car or motorcycle model from the real world shows up, take a drink. Your liver will turn to foie gras in no time.