Ken Watanabe ((渡辺 謙, born October 21, 1959 in Koide, Niigata) is a Japanese actor.
Do not confuse with Akeno Watanabe.
- Tampopo as Gun
- The Last Samurai as Katsumoto
- Memoirs of a Geisha as the Chairman
- Batman Begins as Ra's al Ghul's decoy
- Letters from Iwo Jima as General Tadamichi Kuribayashi
- Inception as Saito
- Unforgiven (Japanese remake) as Jubei Kamata
- MonsterVerse as Doctor Ishiro Serizawa
- Transformers: Age of Extinction as Drift
- Isle of Dogs as Head Surgeon
- Pokémon Detective Pikachu as Detective Hide Yoshida
Tropes to be found in his works:
- The Big Guy: At about 6'1, he's very tall, especially by Japanese standards where the average male height is about 5'7.
- Samurai: His most famous Japanese role was as Date Masamune in the 1987 NHK drama Dokuganryu Masamune. And his most famous international role was also a samurai, Katsumoto in The Last Samurai. 2018 sees this piled up with another NHK drama, Segodon, where he plays 19th century Satsuma daimyo Shimazu Nariakira—who, coincidentally, was the lord of Saigo Takamori, the Real Life basis for The Last Samurai.