Kathrin Romary "Kate" Beckinsale (born 26 July 1973 in Chiswick, London) is an English actor. She is the daughter of actor Richard Beckinsale.
She made her film debut as Hero in the 1993 version of Much Ado About Nothing. She is known for starring in the Underworld movies, Van Helsing, Click, Serendipity, Total Recall (the 2012 remake) and Vacancy.
She used to date Michael Sheen, with whom she had a daughter. Both Kate and Michael worked on Underworld. During filming, they broke up. From 2004 to 2016, she was married to Underworld director Len Wiseman.
Tropes associated with her career:
- Action Girl: She started playing this role with Underworld and has kicked a lot of butt since then, as both a hero and villain.
- Contralto of Danger: She has a low, sultry voice that matches the type of characters she tends to play.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has a habit of showing off her fit, attractive body in her movies.
- Older Than She Looks: She's aged very well, to the point where many have pondered if she may not actually be playing a vampire.
- The Prankster: Her poise and composure do very well to hide this aspect of her; she's stated a strong fondness for classic sleeping pranks, more devious sleeping pranks, and perhaps most amusingly, going around with various partners while disguised in comical pantomime horse costumes.