Karen Sheila Gillan (born November 28, 1987) is a Scottish actress from Inverness (thus she actually is a Highlander), perhaps best known for playing Amy Pond, the first companion of Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor in Doctor Who, having previously appeared as a soothsayer in an earlier story, "The Fires of Pompeii".
Not related to Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, but she is the older cousin of Caitlin Blackwood, who played the "young" Amy Pond.
In September 2012, she and Arthur Darvill's episodes of series 7 of Doctor Who aired, where they left in the fifth episode. Technically, their characters "left" the TARDIS in the late series 6 episode, "The God Complex", but they still managed to appear in the next 8 episodes in a row until they no longer could. At the time she departed Karen was the single longest lasting Companion on the 2005 revival of the show with 2½ seasons. As Amy Pond, Karen had appeared in more televised stories (not episodes, stories), 28, than any other companion in the show's entire history at the time. Both these records have since been eclipsed by Jenna Coleman.
Post-Doctor Who, she's still quite active in the acting circuit, being part of the cast of NTSF:SD:SUV:: (on [adult swim]) as well as scoring several prominent movie roles - Nebula, one of the characters in the film adaptations of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Kaylie in Oculus, and Ruby Roundhouse in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle alongside Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas. She also starred in Selfie for ABC, a sitcom based on My Fair Lady.
In 2018, she released her first feature film as writer and director, titled The Party's Just Beginning.
- Doctor Who (2010 — 2013) as Amy Pond
- Not Another Happy Ending (2013) as Jane Lockhart
- Oculus (2013) as Kaylie Russell
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2014 — present) as Nebula:
- The Circle (2017) as Annie Allerton
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) as Martha / Ruby Roundhouse
- The Party's Just Beginning (2018) as Liusaidh. (She also wrote and directed the movie)
- Gunpowder Milkshake (In production)
Tropes associated with this actress include:
- Bald Woman: For her role in Guardians of the Galaxy, she shaved her head. Funnily enough, this meant she and Matt Smith were both wearing wigs during her cameo in his final episode. note
- Butt-Monkey: All three members of the Who cast described their off-screen relationship as "Two big brothers teasing their younger sister." On Confidential, she showed where Matt scribbled all over her set chair, including "Wide Load" in the seat.
- Confusion Fu: She participated in an All-Star Celebrity Bowling game against Chris Hardwick's Nerdist team while promoting Doctor Who on BBC America. Since bowling isn't all that popular in the UK, and since Karen can out-Klutz Matt and Arthur at times, she shocked everybody when her "Throw, scream, and hope" approach to bowling actually worked and gave her one of the highest scores in the game.
- Ms. Fanservice: Doctor Who often showed off her legs, and Jumanji gave her a Bare Your Midriff outfit. She even had a nude scene in Not Another Happy Ending.
- She's Got Legs: Famously, to the point that where the Doctor was riffing nicknames in the Oval Office, she was referred to as 'The Legs' (along with 'The Nose' and 'Mrs Robinson'). Also very much played up with her role as a video game avatar played by a nerdy girl in Jumanji.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's 5'11" barefoot, so when wearing almost any kind of shoes, she's at least 6'0" even. The Doctor Who prop department had to redesign the Daleks because of it (they were originally designed to match height with Billie Piper, who is 5'5".)