Kaoru Mori (森 薫, Mori Kaoru, born 18 September 1978) is a manga artist who writes mainly historical slice-of-life manga. She has a fascination with Britain and maids and used to write doujinshi about them under the pen-name Agata Fumio, as a member of doujinshi circle Lady Maid. Some of the characters from her doujinshi (such as Shirley and Mary Banks) were later used in her manga. Mori is loved by fans and critics alike for the impressive amount of research that goes into her comics and her highly detailed artwork. Costume Porn and Scenery Porn are the norm with her, is what we're saying.
Interestingly enough, despite the general focus of her work (romance, historical drama, slice-of-life) seeming to have more outward appeal to girls, Mori is in fact published in a Seinen magazine.
She is reasonably popular outside of her native Japan; many of her stories have been licensed, translated, and published in English, often in larger, hardcover books to show off the details of her drawings.
Her works include:
- Shirley, a collection of one-shot vignettes all featuring maids, named after the first
- Shirley Madison, a continuation.
- Emma: A Victorian Romance
- A Bride's Story
- Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something, another collection of one-shots and short stories.
- Violet Blossoms (art only)
- Cover Story (short story)