Julie Deborah Kavner (born September 7, 1950 in Los Angeles, California) is an American actress. Although she first became known for her role as Brenda Morgenstern in the sitcom Rhoda, she is most famous as the voice of Marge Simpson (and the women on Marge's side of the family, such as cynical, chain-smoking twin sisters Patty and Selmanote , Jackienote , Great Aunt Gladysnote , and some unnamed relatives who had minor roles on the season six episode, "Fear of Flying"note ) in The Simpsons.
She has also appeared in six of Woody Allen's films.
- Rhoda (1974-1978): Brenda Morgenstern.
- Lou Grant (1977): Alice Merrin.
- Hannah and Her Sisters (1986): Gail.
- New York Stories (1989): Treva.
- The Simpsons (1989-present): Marge Simpson/Patty Bouvier/Selma Bouvier/Jacqueline Bouvier.
- The Simpsons Movie (2007): Marge/Patty/Selma.
- Awakenings (1990): Eleanor Costello.
- Shadows and Fog (1991): Alma.
- Forget Paris (1995): Lucy.
- Deconstructing Harry (1997): Grace.
- The Lion King 1½ (2004): Timon's Ma.
- Click (2006): Trudy Newman.
- Reclusive Artist: Kavner is a very private person and does not allow herself to be photographed while working. She also has a clause in her Simpsons contract that says she does not have to promote the show, making the few times she agrees to do so very momentous occasions. Her relatively rare public appearances include an episode of Inside the Actors Studio alongside her Simpsons co-starsnote and Woody Allen: A Documentary.
- Reviewer Stock Phrases: It's practically a requirement for anyone writing about her to use the phrase "honeyed gravel" to describe her unique voice.