Jonathan Drew Groff (born March 26, 1985), a.k.a. "Groffsauce" (bestowed on him courtesy of one Mr. Lin-Manuel Miranda) is an American actor and singer.
In 2006 he originated the role of the radical Melchior Gabor in Spring Awakening, earning himself a Tony nomination. Well known for playing Jesse St. James on Glee opposite Spring Awakening co-star and close friend Lea Michele. He also originated the role of King George III in Hamilton.
He voiced the character Kristoff (and his reindeer Sven) in Frozen and its sequels and spinoff works, and starred in HBO's comedy-drama, Looking. He also played Craig Donner in HBO's telefilm adaptation of The Normal Heart, to much critical acclaim. Groff also plays the lead role in the David Fincher series Mindhunter.
- One Life to Live (2007) as Henry Mackler
- Taking Woodstock (2009) as Michael Lang
- The Conspirator (2010) as Louis Weichmann
- Glee (2010 — 2012, 2015) as Jesse St. James
- Boss (2012) as Ian Todd
- Frozen (2013present) as Kristoff (voice)
- Looking (2014 — 2015) as Patrick Murray
- Looking: The Movie (2016)
- The Normal Heart (2014) as Craig Donner
- Mindhunter (2017) as Holden Ford
- The Matrix Resurrections (2021) as Agent Smith
- Lost Ollie (TBA) as Ollie (voice)
Selected theatre credits:
- Spring Awakening (2006 — 2008) as Melchior Gabor
- Hair (2007 — 2008) as Claude Hooper Bukowski
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (2015) as J. Pierrepont Finch
- Hamilton (2015 — 2016) as King George III
Selected Audio Plays
- 36 Questions (2017) as Jase
Jonathan Groff provides examples of:
- Promoted Fanboy: To Sutton Foster. Jonathan saw Sutton six times in Thoroughly Modern Millie while he was in high school, and now they're friends and colleagues.
- The Other Darrin: Serves as a new "shell" for Agent Smith in The Matrix Resurrections.
- Yandere: He references this trope when describing his character King George III from Hamilton as a 'scorned lover', Fatal Attraction style - towards AMERICA.Jonathan: You feel like at any moment, he's going to flip his shit.