John Noble (born 20 August 1948 in Port Pirie, Australia) is an Australian film and television actor.
He's perhaps best-known for his roles as Denethor in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, as Walter Bishop in the American Fox science fiction television series Fringe and as the Scarecrow in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- The Lord of the Rings as Denethor
- 2004 Fracture as Howard Peet
- 2006 Running Scared as Ivan Yugorsky
- 2010 The Last Airbender as Dragon Spirit
- 2013 Superman Unbound as Brainiac
- 20012006 Home and Away as Dr. Helpman
- 2007 24 as Anatoly Markov
- 20082013 Fringe as Walter Bishop/Walternate
- 2011 Transformers: Prime as Unicron
- 2013 The Good Wife as Matthew Ashbaugh
- 20132017 Sleepy Hollow as Henry Parish/Jeremy Crane
- 2014 Rake as Clayton Post
- 2015-2016 Elementary as Morland Holmes, Sherlock's father
- 2017-Present Legends of Tomorrow as the voice of Mallus and as himself
- 2017-Present Salvation as Nicholas Tanz
- 2009 The Saboteur as Bishop
- 2011 L.A. Noire as Leland Monroe
- 2015 Batman: Arkham Knight as the Scarecrow (Dr. Jonathan Crane), replacing Dino Andrade
Tropes Associated with John Noble:
- As Himself: An especially fun case in Legends of Tomorrow that smashes Celebrity Paradox to pieces. After he provided the voice for disembodied Big Bad Mallus all season, the heroes discover that the actor John Noble's voice is uncannily similar. Using time travel, they record him saying a few things that will lure Mallus' host body into a trap.
- Badass Baritone: Absolutely. Noble doesn't really need much of a voice filter, because his voice is naturally menacing. Plus, his voicing legendary DC villains such as Brainiac and the Scarecrow with such style and menace naturally makes him such a fan favorite with DC fans.
- Fake American: As Walter Bishop, Leland Monroe, and The Scarecrow (Dr. Jonathan Crane).
- Typecasting: Tends to play characters who are either unpleasant or insane. Has also played a few estranged father who have rocky relationships with their sons, such as Morland Holmes.