John Adedayo B. Adegboyega (born 17 March 1992 in Peckham, London), known professionally as John Boyega, is a British-Nigerian actor.
He's best known for playing Finn in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, starting with The Force Awakens. Before that, Boyega gained prominence for his performance as the lead Moses in the 2011 sci-fi comedy Attack the Block.
Earned acclaim and several accolades for his performance as Leroy Logan in the anthology series Small Axe.
- Attack the Block (2011) as Moses.
- Junkhearts (2011) as Jamal.
- Law & Order: UK (2011) as Jamal Clarkson
- Becoming Human (2011) as Danny Curtis.
- Half of a Yellow Sun (2013) as Ugwu.
- Imperial Dreams (2014) as Bambi.
- 24: Live Another Day (2014) as Chris Tanner.
- Star Wars as Finn:
- The Circle (2017) as Kalden.
- Watership Down (2018) as Bigwig.
- Detroit (2017) as Melvin Dismukes
- Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018) as Jake Pentecost.
He provides examples of:
- Creator Backlash: Big time towards the Sequel Trilogy. He did not care for Finn's development, specifically pushing him aside after the first installment despite the initial buildup towards him being the new protagonist. Boyega even noted how offensive it was to trick audiences into thinking a black man was the main character and then reducing his role in favor of white characters, also noting how costars Oscar Isaac and Kelly Marie Tran were similarly screwed over.
- Star-Making Role: Finn in The Force Awakens, undeniably so.