Joel Reynolds is a short story writer, mostly comics for friends and personal projects. He has a web comic under wraps that may not be out for a while but has many character and stories already established
All of Joel's stories take place in one universe over multiple times lines and one major Alternate Universe. The overall works tend to get darker and darker with almost every single character dying at some point. The fatality rate on-screen hovers around 70%, but as many stories come years and years after previous stories, the death rate is 100% for all characters. The deaths are usually unexpected, grisly, terror-inducing and happen to the most lovable and kindest characters you can imagine. The stories are mostly character heavy and focus on their personal growth or decline. Many enjoy Deconstruction and Inverted Trope.
Tropes Found in Joel's Works
Demon Hunter's Academy
- Ascended Demon: Pheobos does so out of love, Morri does it simply for power
- Babies Ever After: Serri has Horace
- Five-Man Band: Many:
- 1st Generation
|The Big Guy||Mara|
|The Smart Guy||Berryl|
- 2nd Generation
|The Big Guy||Nick|
|The Smart Guy||David|
- Ineffectual Loner: Berryl is a lonely kid, he does have supportive friends. It isn't until The battle of Adam, and he chooses to become a betrayed that he becomes badass
- Jabba Table Manners: "I love the way Web eats spaghetti..."
- Killed Off for Real: Oh... this might take a while... here we go... Jake, Mara, Tera, Morri, Uri, Horace, Rene'e, Choppa, Ellie, Selene, Shrall, Adam, Nick, Jill, David, Thrall, Max, Sam, Marcus, ...
- Last Breath Bullet: Berryl pulls this once or twice.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: "We can save people by killing the things that hurt them, there are other ways, but at times we have to make choices.."
- Stab the Sky: Jake does this right before he dies
- Transhuman Treachery: The fallen ones are demon hunters whose demon side takes over, most take out their demonic rage on the demon hunters, but Pheobos eventually overpowers her urge to kill and eat everything... for love... AWWWWWW!
- Two Guys and a Girl: Jake, Web and Berryl do all right with out the hangers on...
Blood Letter Arc
- Angsty Surviving Twin: After She kills Rene'e, Tilina becomes even more cut off from her emotions than before. She is often shown missing her sister and wishing for what might have been...
- Blood Magic: The main premise of the arc. Two twins with the same power, to manipulate blood, are brought to the academy.
Summer of Veneficus
- Author Avatar: Joel is one of the main characters, but has yet to have his own chapter
- Because Destiny Says So: Joel can see the future, so his odd behavior is excusable.
- Elemental Baggage: Elemental mages can easily get their element, fire from friction, water form air moisture, earthfrom dirt, and air is everywhere. But the elements are easier to use when a lot is available.
- Elemental Powers: Mages have different variations of elemental powers. Some have one element, others have the four basic ones, some have really odd elements, like gravity.
- Indian Summer: played straight, even though it mostly takes place in the dead of winter, it refers to the fact that this is the summer of magic, magic is at it's apex, and the fall is soon coming
- Knight of Cerebus: The dark mage. and to a lesser degree, the werewolves.
- Playing with Fire: Alice can minipulate fire, and thus so can Joel; and Johnney can use it as well.
- So can the Dark Mage...
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: A large part of the series, is dissecting magic, to know how to apply it in combat.
- Write Who You Know: Almost every character is a student at the author's high school.