Joe Hill (born June 4, 1972) is a relatively new writer of horror novels and a weirdness-filled comic book series. There's one thing many people like to point out about Joe Hill, that his full name is Joseph Hillstrom King (yes, he was named after the labor activist and songwriter) if you were wondering). Horror novelist called King? Well, yesStephen King is his dad. Fully knowing that comparisons to his father's works would be inevitable and fearing that he would be judged on the name alone, rather than the quality of his writingnote , Hill decided to keep his full name secret for his first publications, to the point of never meeting his agent or publisher in person.
After winning several awards for for his short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts, and receiving critical acclaim for his first novel, Heart-Shaped Box, the secret about his full name slowly started to creep out, but Hill felt that he had already created enough of a name for himself, and allowed it to happen. He has since embraced his connection to his father; the two have collaborated on a few short stories and Hill's latest novel NOS4A2 includes several references to his father's work.
He should not be confused with the early twentieth century labour union activist Joe Hill, after whom he is named.
Since 2015 he's also become known for his efforts to solve the Lady of the Dunes, a 1974 murder in Cape Cod. This was spurred by his spotting an extra in Jaws wearing what appeared to be the same bandanna as the victim, which could provide the key to identifying her.
His main works are:
- 20th Century Ghosts: A collection of 14 short stories.
- Heart-Shaped Box: A novel, in which an aging rock star buys a ghost on eBay.
- Horns: A novel, in which a man wakes up to find he has horns on his head. Adapted to a film starring Daniel Radcliffe.
- NOS4A2: A novel about a woman who must rescue her son from a "very bad man" who takes children to Christmasland. Followed by a comicbook companion series Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland.
- Locke & Key: A graphic novel series.
- The Fireman: A post-apocalyptic novel about a deadly spore that infects most of the world's population.
- Strange Weather: A collection of four novellas (titled Snapshot 1988, Rain, Loaded, and Aloft).
- Full Throttle: Stories: Another collection of short stories.