Jennette Michelle Faye McCurdy (born June 26, 1992) is an American actress, singer, songwriter, YouTuber, producer, and writer.
She rose to fame as iCarly's resident badass, Samantha Puckett. Jennette has also starred in other TV shows such as Zoey 101, Malcolm in the Middle, Will & Grace, Strong Medicine, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, The Inside, True Jackson, VP and Judging Amy, as well as TV movie Best Player.
She has also parlayed into a country music career and was signed with Capitol Records Nashville, having released 2 albums as of 2012.
Following iCarly's fifth & final season ending, Jennette began starring in a new series on Nickelodeon called Sam & Cat, teaming up with Dan Schneider again. It is a Crossover Spin-Off with Cat Valentine from Victorious. She also stars in the web series What's Next for Sarah?, which she writes and co-produces.
In 2015, she starred as Wiley from the Netflix original series Between that was cancelled after two seasons.
In 2017, she quit acting and began pursuing writing and directing. The first of which was a short film titled "Kenny" that was inspired by the death of her mother and features an all-female crew, and "Strong Independent Women", a short that deals with eating disorders. In 2019, she starred in her one-woman tragicomedy show "I'm Glad My Mom Died" in various theaters in Los Angeles and New York.
In 2020, she started a podcast called Empty Inside, where she speaks with guests about uncomfortable topics.
This actress contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Pinky Turzo in True Jackson VP. An Alternative Character Interpretation for Sam Puckett is that she combines both the Alpha Bitch and Jerk Jock aspects into a single mean bullying bitch.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor:
- She spent 4 days attacking Nickelodeon after they showed small part of a new music video of hers when she was expecting it to be the entire clip and had been promoting it as such on her Twitter. Has also done the same with MTV. Both networks are owned by the same company Viacom. She was later rewarded with a new contract for iCarly, a new contract with Nick's music label and her own starring show on Nick, so it didn't turn out badly for her.
- She's made extremely vague comments regarding treatment, among the rumors about an alleged salary dispute after gaining said starring show leading to much fan speculation about behind-the-scenes in-fighting. This time it did end badly for her - though for equally vague reasons, her show has prematurely ended and fans are speculating she is likely a big reason why.
- Cover Version: Homeless Heart by Amanda Stott.
- Deadpan Snarker: Quite a "self-proclaimed nerd" and bubbly all-around in her Twitter page, she hilariously counters defamatory tweets against her.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Two of her first acting credits were on MadTV and in the music video for Faith Hill's "The Way You Love Me".
- Friend to All Children: Unlike many of the characters she plays, Jennette herself absolutely adores kids.
- Old Shame:
- Has admitted that she is ashamed 90% of her resume and considers it a traumatic experience, even outright saying she thinks iCarly is "shit" during a podcast with Mikhaila Peterson.
- Running Gag: The Kids Choice Awards never gets to spell her name right. Jennette personally calls them on this in her Twitter account every year.