A very prolific children's and young-adult author, Jean Craighead George (July 2, 1919 May 15, 2012) had literally written over a hundred books over the course of 60+ years.
Her favourite subjects to write about were nature, wildlife and ecology, but she has quite a bit of Xenofiction under her belt as well. A couple of her books have earned Newbery awards in the past, with at least one of them entering the education system as study media.
She died on May 15, 2012, at the age of 92.
Some of her books, listed below:
Julie of the Wolves series
- Julie of the Wolves - About an Eskimo girl who learns to communicate with wolves while stranded on the Arctic tundra.
- Julie's Wolf Pack - Xenofiction sequel about the wolves of the first novel.
- Nutik, the Wolf Pup
- Nutik and Amaroq Play Ball
My Side of the Mountain series
- My Side of the Mountain - A boy learns to live off the land, tames a falcon and makes new and interesting friends.
- On the Far Side of the Mountain
- Frightful's Mountain - Told from the perspective of the falcon in the first novel.
- Frightful's Daughter
- Frightful's Daughter Meets the Baron Weasel
Works by Jean Craighead George with their own pages:
Other works by Jean Craighead George contain examples of:
- Parents Know Their Children: Subverted in Tree Castle Island. After Jack discovers on a camping trip that he has a long-lost twin named Jake, and the two return to civilization, Jack's mother (adoptive mother, never knew he had a twin until now) insists that she recognizes the boy she's raised. She goes and stands in front of Jake, not realizing that the two had switched where they were standing when she wasn't watching.