Since leaving Doctor Who, she has often been critical of the show during her time on it, frequently complaining about the way she and her fellow companions were treated. This reached its highpoint with a notorious on-stage outburst at Panopticon 1993 when she told a room full of fans that any show that treated its female characters as badly as Doctor Who did deserved to have been cancelled.
She has also blamed Doctor Who for killing her acting career; having achieved limited success in the years since leaving the show, in 1991 she gave up acting to become a theatrical agent. Her clients included Paul McGann, who was cast as the Eighth Doctor while represented by her.
For a long time, she declined to reprise her role as Tegan for Big Finish audio plays, but she agreed to make a one-off appearance in "The Gathering" (2006), and eventually returned on a regular basis starting with "Cobwebs" (2010).
Works with pages on TV Tropes that she has appeared in:
- Hammer House of Horror: episode "Charlie Boy" (1980) — Secretary
- Minder: episode "Windows" (1984) — Janice
- Doctor Who: 65 episodes / 19 storiesshow list (1981-84) — Tegan Jovanka
- Jim'll Fix It / Doctor Who crossover: "A Fix With Sontarans" (1985) — Tegan Jovanka
- Big Finish Doctor Who:
- Main Range: 37 releasesshow list (2006-2020) — Tegan Jovanka
- Special Release "The Light At The End" (2013) — Tegan Jovanka
- The Lost Stories: 4 releasesshow list (2011-19) — Tegan Jovanka
- The Fifth Doctor Adventures: 7 releasesshow list (2014-22) — Tegan Jovanka
- Novel Adaptations: "Cold Fusion" (2016) — Tegan Jovanka
- Destiny of the Doctor: "Smoke and Mirrors" (2013) — Tegan Jovanka
- Prisoner Zero: episode "Breakout" (2016) — Dr. Mendez
Tropes associated with her work include:
- Stage Name: She was born Janet Mahoney, and adopted Fielding as a stage surname. It was the surname of her grandmother, who was also an actress.