James "Jamie" Dornan (born 1 May 1982) is a Northern Irish model, actor, and singer, known primarily for starring in the film adaptation of EL James' erotica novel Fifty Shades of Grey as Christian Grey.
He's also known for his roles in television, namely Sheriff Graham Humbert / The Huntsman on ABC's fantasy series Once Upon a Time, and Paul Spector (opposite Gillian Anderson) on BBC's crime drama The Fall.
- Marie Antoinette (2006) as Axel von Fersen
- Once Upon a Time (2011 — 2013) as Sheriff Graham Humbert / The Huntsman
- The Fall (2013 — 2017) as Paul Spector
- Fifty Shades of Grey (2015 — 2018) as Christian Grey:
- Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
- Fifty Shades Darker (2017)
- Fifty Shades Freed (2018)
- Anthropoid (2016) as Jan Kubis
- Robin Hood (2018) as Will Scarlet
He provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Ana makes a joke about Christian being a serial killer, as a nod to The Fall.
- Best Known for the Fanservice: By virtue of starring in an erotic film like Fifty Shades of Grey, but also because his career had its roots in modeling.
- Deleted Role: He filmed a two-minute cameo in Burnt adding backstory for Sienna Miller's character. Test audiences disapproved of it and it was cut.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Prefers to have a beard but shaves it to play Christian Grey - something he had to do every morning. Also had to drink five protein shakes a day and do rigorous ab and core workouts to give himself abs. He also had to learn how to walk differently, since he prefers to walk on his toes rather than heels.
- Enforced Method Acting: For The Siege of Jadotville, he and the other actors were put through a boot camp to be given military training. Jamie was also put in charge of the other actors to get him into the mindset of playing the leader.
- Fake American: Puts one on to play Christian Grey. It slips quite a bit but has improved slightly by the time of Fifty Shades Darker.
- Fake Nationality: As a Czech in Anthropoid.
- Male Frontal Nudity: Oddly averted in Fifty Shades, given the source material.
- Mr. Fanservice: Epitomized by his role in Fifty Shades, which involves him in various states of dress.
- The Other Marty: Charlie Hunnam dropped out of Fifty Shades of Grey and Jamie replaced him.
- Retroactive Recognition: That's him in Marie Antoinette.
- Star-Making Role: Fifty Shades of Grey.
- Those Two Actors: With Sam Keeley in Anthropoid, The Siege of Jadotville and Burnt (though his scene was cut from that).
- What Could Have Been:
- There was talk of Graham returning for the Once Upon a Time Season 3 finale, where Emma would glimpse him from afar in the past but be unable to reach out to him. Due to scheduling conflicts with Fifty Shades of Grey, it was cut.
- He originally auditioned for a police officer in The Fall, and ended up cast as Paul instead.