James Garner (born James Scott Bumgarner; April 7, 1928 July 19, 2014) was an American actor, producer, and voice artist. He starred in several television series over more than five decades, including such popular roles as Bret Maverick in the 1950s western series Maverick and Jim Rockford in The Rockford Files, and played leading roles in more than 50 theatrical films, including The Great Escape (1963), Paddy Chayefsky's The Americanization of Emily (1964), Grand Prix (1966), Blake Edwards' Victor/Victoria (1982), Murphy's Romance (1985), for which he received an Academy Award nomination, Space Cowboys (2000) with Clint Eastwood, and The Notebook (2004).
James Garner on TV Tropes
- Sayonara (1957) as Capt. Mike Bailey, USMC
- Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend (1957) as Sgt. John Maitland
- The Children's Hour (1961) as Dr. Joe Cardin
- The Great Escape (1963) as Flt. Lt. Robert Hendley "The Scrounger"
- The Americanization of Emily (1964) as Lt. Cmdr. Charles Edward Madison
- 36 Hours (1965) as Major Jefferson F. Pike
- Grand Prix (1966) as Pete Aron
- Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) as Jason McCullough
- Marlowe (1969) as Philip Marlowe
- Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) as Latigo Smith
- Victor/Victoria (1982) as King Marchand
- Sunset (1988) as Wyatt Earp
- The Distinguished Gentleman (1992) as Jeff Johnson
- Fire in the Sky (1993) as Frank Watters
- Maverick (1994) as Marshal Zane Cooper
- My Fellow Americans (1996) as President Matt Douglas
- Space Cowboys (2000) as Tank Sullivan
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) as Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke (voice)
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2002) as Shepard James Walker "Shep"
- The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration (2003) as Pat (voice)
- The Notebook (2004) as Old Noah Calhoun/"Duke"
- The Ultimate Gift (2007) as Red Stevens
- Battle for Terra (2007) as Doron
- Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam as Shazam (voice)