Hope Elise Ross Lange (November 28, 1933 December 19, 2003) was an American film, stage, and television actress best known for her Academy Award- and Golden Globe Award-nominated performance as Selena Cross in the film Peyton Place (1957) and her Emmy Award-winning winning role as Carolyn Muir on the sitcom The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (196870).
Lange was married three times, including to Don Murray (with whom she had two children, including Christopher Murray) and Alan J. Pakula, and had relationships at various points with Glenn Ford, Frank Sinatra, and John Cheever. She died of complications from ischemic colitis at the age of 70.
No, she's not related to Jessica Lange.
Films with pages on TV Tropes:
- Peyton Place (1957) as Selena Cross
- In Love and War (1958) as Andrea Lenaine
- Pocketful of Miracles (1961) as Queenie Martin
- Death Wish (1974) as Joanna Kersey
- Like Normal People (1979) as Roz Meyers
- I Am the Cheese (1983) as Betty Farmer
- A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) as Shirl Walsh
- Blue Velvet (1986) as Mrs. Williams
- Clear and Present Danger (1994) as Senator Mayo
- Just Cause (1995) as Libby Prentiss
TV series with pages on TV Tropes:
- Playhouse 90 (1957, 1958; episodes ""For I Have Loved Strangers", "Point of No Return" and "The Innocent Sleep")
- Hallmark Hall of Fame (1962, 1975; episodes "Cyrano de Bergerac" and "The Rivalry")
- The Fugitive (1966, episode "The Last Oasis")
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (196870) as Carolyn Muir
- The Love Boat (1978, episode "Where Is It Written?/Julie's Aunt/The Big Deal")
- Fantasy Island (1983, episode "Naughty Marietta/The Winning Ticket")
- Hotel (1983, 1986; episodes "Relative Loss" and "Forsaking All Others")
- Murder, She Wrote (1987, 1993; episodes "Night of the Headless Horseman" and "The Big Kill")