Holland is a Korean Pop Music star who debuted in 2018. He is one of the few out pop stars from Korea and has been supportive of other LGBT+ people. While he has only released three songs, his music has gained a lot of attention for being about his own experiences as a gay man in a conservative country, with his music videos in particular featuring him kissing other men. He named himself Holland because that was the first country where gay marriage became legal.
A mini-album is in the works, produced through crowdfunding. It has already closed to great success, reaching 217% of the original goal.
This singer provides examples of:
- Arc Symbol: Holland wears the same red shirt in I'm not Afraid and I'm so Afraid. The woman dancing in 'I'm so Afraid' also wears it.
- Beach Kiss: Subverted. There's a beach date in Neverland, but no kiss on the beach. It does come right after.
- Be Yourself: And how.
- Specifically one of the themes in Wish I Loved You Better.
- Cure Your Gays: In a video, a friend tells him that his parents tried to have him treated for homosexuality. Holland is quite shocked to hear it. Averted with himself, as his parents are supportive.
- Get Back in the Closet: Neverland is rated R because it features a gay kiss.
- Fan Community Nickname: Harlings a combination between Holland and darlings.
- It is also similar to the name of a Dutch town.
- Homophobic Hate Crime: He is afraid that this will happen if he holds a fan meeting and therefore doesn't do it, since he doesn't want his fans to be in danger.
- Hotter and Sexier: The kiss in I'm not Afraid is steamier than the one in Neverland.
- I Am What I Am: In Wish I Loved You Better, he comes to this realization after being suicidal. He puts on his make-up. The title of that song is also this.
- In Da Club: Holland's house gets turned into a club in I'm not Afraid.
- Internalized Categorism: Wish I Loved You Better showed how bullying hurt him to the point of being suicidal.
- Lipstick-and-Load Montage: In Wish I loved You Better.
- Match Cut: At the end of "I'm so Afraid", the camera starts to spin around the female dancer and the image goes dark, cutting then to a similar spinning shot of Holland in the forest, doing the same pose as her.
- School Bullying Is Harmless: Has talked about being bullied because of his sexuality. He explictly shows the effects bullying can have on someone in Wish I Loved You Better.
- Unexpectedly Dark Episode: Both literally and figuratively with Wish I Loved You Better. The MV takes place after nightfall. Instead of parties or beach dates, it deals with depression after being bullied. Even the make-up he puts on when he decides to accept himself is dark.
- Vertigo Effect: Appears in a brief shot during "I'm So Afraid" where Holland stares at his female alter-ego, right before she starts dancing.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like many Korean idols, Holland dyes his hair in different colors.