Hafþór Júlíus "Thor" Björnssonnote (born November 26, 1988 in Reykjavík) is an Icelandic professional strength athlete, actor and former professional basketball player.
He once had a shot at joining the NBA, until a knee injury brought an end to these dreams. Hafþór is famous for his huge stature (206 cm / 6 ft 9 in tall) and for his weightlifting feats, being one of the strongest men in the world (for instance, he holds two world records for deadlifts1045 lb / 474 kg under Elephant Bar conditions, and 1104 lb / 501 kg under strongman conditions).note
He played Ser Gregor "The Mountain" of House Clegane, the fearsome knight servant of House Lannister, in the HBO series Game of Thrones since the fourth season (2014). He also played antagonist fighter Mongkut in Kickboxer: Retaliation (released in 2018).
Tropes in his works:
- Adam Westing: Most of his appearances in commercials bank on his role as Gregor Clegane (such as skull-crushing people who disagree with him).
- Bad Boss: The Icelandic Mountain Vodka commercials depict him as an obliviously selfish boss to his hapless Beleaguered Assistant Einar.
- The Big Guy: Seriously, just look at the picture.
- Blood Knight: Both Gregor Clegane in Game of Thrones and Mongkut in Kickboxer: Retaliation live and breathe for fighting and killing.
- The Brute: He played two human behemoths with evil employers, Gregor Clegane and Mongkut.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Is inevitably this with any woman put next to him, but it's especially apparent with his wife, who's 5'2. This gallery should give perspective.
- The Other Darrin: He is the third actor to play Gregor Clegane after Conan Stevens (Season 1) and Ian Whyte (Season 2).
- The Pete Best: He's by far the most well known and popular out of the three actors who played Gregor Clegane, and remained in the role up to the show's final season (Season 8).
- Red Baron: As Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane, a moniker he sometimes uses for himself.
- The Rival: To Eddie "The Beast" Hall, fellow winner of WSM. Wile it started out as a pleasant Friendly Rivalry between the two, it sadly turned more hostile in time over accusations of ego, cheating and attitude issues being thrown between both sides, eventually leading to them deciding to settle it in a boxing match scheduled for the year 2021. This escalated even further upon his controversial world record deadlift of 501 kg.
- Vocal Dissonance: He tends to put on a deeper and darker voice when playing characters like Gregor Clegane, mostly because many find it hard to believe how light and welcoming his voice sounds in reality for someone of his size.
- World's Strongest Man: His most famous character, Gregor Clegane, is the strongest man in all Westeros. Hafþór himself won the Real Life WSM title in 2018, and finished in the top three of that competition six times before finally cashing in.
- In May 2020 he set a new world record by being able to deadlift a weight of 501kg!