He formally announced his retirement in 2019, citing various health issues.
Perez's most famous work includes:
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: The famous DC Universe reboot.
- The Avengers: Pérez first penciled it in the '70s starting with issue #141, then came back in the '90s to illustrate the book's relaunch with Kurt Busiek.
- Incredible Hulk: With Peter David, Perez drew the Future Imperfect two-issue series, which introduced the Maestro.
- The Infinity Gauntlet: Pérez penciled the book for the first couple of issues, and drew the first issue's famous cover.
- JLA/Avengers, with Kurt Busiek
- Superman: Pérez wrote and drew covers for the first six issues of the book following the New 52 reboot, with Nicola Scott and Jesús Merino.
- The New Teen Titans, with Marv Wolfman; this became DC's most popular comic book of the period and introduced many characters and costumes that would become iconic in later years, such as Deathstroke, Raven, and Starfire.
- Wonder Woman: Perez was plotter, penciler, and co-writer on the 1987 reboot of the character, which introduced many of the powers and background elements that would be Wonder Woman staples until the 2011 line-wide reboot.
Creator-owned work by Perez includes Crimson Plague and the upcoming She-Devils.