Gal Gadot (Hebrew: גל גדות) is an Israeli actress and model born on April 30, 1985 in Rosh HaAyin.
Before she transitioned into acting, she represented the country in the 2004 Miss Universe pageant, and served in the Israel Defense Forces for two years. Her first acting credits date back to the Israeli soap opera Bubot with the role of Miriam "Merry" Elkayam. In 2009, she made her big screen debut as Gisele in Fast & Furious, the fourth installment of The Fast and the Furious film franchise.
The role that marked her big break is Wonder Woman, within the DC Extended Universe, first appearing in 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, then appearing in her own movie and in Justice League, both in 2017, and a sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, in 2020. She is the first actress to play the character in theatrically-released live-action films.note In effect, one could say she became the female answer to Christopher Reeve: an actor who took a role of an iconic superhero role that few previously took seriously for movies and made the definitive cinematic version of it.
She married Yaron Varsano, an Israeli real estate developer, in 2008. They have two daughters, born in 2011 and 2017.
- Bubot (2007-2008) as Miriam "Merry" Elkayam
- Entourage (2009) as Lisa
- The Fast and the Furious film series as Gisele Yashar
- Date Night (2010) as Natanya
- Asfour (2011) as Kika
- Kicking Out Shoshana (2014) as Mirit Ben Hatush
- DC Extended Universe as Diana of Themyscira / Diana Prince / Wonder Woman
- Criminal (2016) as Jill Pope
- Triple 9 (2016) as Elena Vlaslov
- Keeping Up with the Joneses (2016) as Natalie Jones
- The Simpsons (2018) As Herself
- Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) as Shank
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019) As Herself
- National Geographic Presents: Impact with Gal Gadot (2021) - host
- Red Notice (2021)
- Death on the Nile (2022) as Linnet Ridgeway Doyle
- Untitled Hedy Lamarr series (Apple TV mini-series, TBA) as Hedy Lamarr
- Deeper (TBA) as Marion
- Cleopatra VII biopic (TBA) in the title role
- Heart of Stone (TBA)
Tropes & Trivia that apply to her works:
- Action Girl: Before her acting career, Gadot served in the IDF. As such, she seems to be Type Cast as them (Gisele, then Wonder Woman and Natalie Jones).
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Applies to several of her characters.
- Amazonian Beauty: Rather notable in that before being cast as Wonder Woman she was quite skinny. After months of training, she became more fit for the role.
- Badass Israeli: Gisele Yashar and Natalie Jones are both kickass ex-Mossad agents.
- Cast the Runner-Up: Gal was approached for the role of Faora in Man of Steel, but declined due to her pregnancy at the time. She perfectly made up for it, as Zack Snyder later cast her as Wonder Woman in the same film universe.
- Cowboy BeBop at His Computer: She received some backlash when it was announced that she will be portraying Cleopatra VII in an upcoming biopic by Patty Jenkins, with many accusations of whitewashing. However, the real Cleopatra was part of the (frequently incestuous) Greek-Macedonian Ptolemaic dynasty, with a skin tone similar to Gal's. The claims about Cleopatra having African/Egyptian ancestry have never been solidly substantiated by academic standards.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot:
- She shared a pretty passionate kiss with Isla Fisher as a ploy to defeat the bad guys in Keeping Up with the Joneses.
- In Wonder Woman, Diana states that she has read the nymph Clio's twelve volumes on the "pleasures of the flesh". They come to the conclusion that men are needed for reproduction but unnecessary for pleasure — she comes from an island where there's no man at all, after all.
- The kiss she shared with Kate McKinnon on Saturday Night Live when parodying Wonder Woman.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Shank, the character she voices in Ralph Breaks the Internet, is clearly modelled after her, and very possibly after Gisele Yashar, specifically.
- Meta Casting:
- Her first acting role was as a model in the Israeli telenovela Bubot.
- She served two years in the Israeli Defense Forces. This was an admitted factor in why she was cast as Wonder Woman.
- Hedy Lamarr was a Jew born in Austria and escaped the Nazis to the US before the outbreak of World War II. Gal's maternal grandmother was also a Central European Jew (born in Poland) who escaped the Nazis.
- Ms. Fanservice: Not nearly as sexualized as most, but her beauty is often noted both in-universe and out. Typically played straighter in her earlier roles.
- She's Got Legs: Being so tall and wearing Wonder Woman's costume, this certainly comes up.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at about 5'10, so in her Wonder Woman wedge boots she is almost as tall as Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. In Keeping Up With The Jones, she easily towers over Isla Fisher.
- Star-Making Role: Wonder Woman was her big international break, without a doubt.