Fuzzboy, also known as James, is a fan-fiction writer and general online author, who is well-known for his dry sense of humor, his critical and blunt opinions of other stories, and for working alongside fellow writer, DeltaXtreme .
First joining the fanfiction community in 2015, he first started off in the TPI-community, stories based around crossing over Total Drama and Pokémon, where he first released an unsuccessful and now deleted story. After multiple failed attempts, in 2018, he eventually was able to release his first completed work with Fuzzy Memories : Total Drama Island. A sequel to it was released soon after, along with his first piece of non-fanfiction in Our United Purpose.
To date, he's one of the most popular members of the TPI community for his more down-to-earth writing style, though he has recently begun to gain a reputation within other communities for his critical analysis and other stories as well. He's also gotten a reputation for his thought process on characters, since he believes that if a character is good enough, they can work in any piece of work, which is what he styles his stories after.
It was revealed on December 15th, 2018, that Fuzzboy was now involved in creating an upcoming web-series called, "A Smashing Good Time".
Stories by Fuzzboy:
- Fuzzy Memories
- Our United Purpose
Tropes associated with Fuzzboy include:
- Abusive Parents: Expect an example of these in just about all of his stories, though just how abusive they are, whether it be emotional or physical, depends on the character and the story.
- The Alcoholic: Enjoys pretending to be this, playing it up in his author's notes as a joke.
- Alternate Universe Fic: All of his stories. His fanfictions notably take place in heavily altered realities of the canonical property, while his original works feature the same characters from those fanfictions in only even more altered realities.
- It's actually part of his style as a whole, since he does believe that if a character is good enough, they should work in just about any setting you throw them into, and that different stories can lead to said character receiving drastically different development.
- Anyone Can Die: A regular part of his stories as a whole. He's of the belief that no matter what, any character should either die(or in some cases, simply get eliminated) or get taken out of a story all together, regardless of importance. Despite this, he's still of the belief that should a character get taken out, they should have so happen with a purpose, since he's not a fan of just killing off characters to get a reaction.
- Berserk Button: Plenty of them.
- Invalid or otherwise not well thought-out criticism.
- Also, not actually being able to take helpful criticism.
- Sloppy, unprofessional, or otherwise lazy writing.
- Having to get up early in the morning.
- Bittersweet Ending: Rarely is the ending to any of his stories actually gonna be entirely positive, as while they usually will resolve the conflict of the story, most of the time at least one character will get screwed over in some way, and sometimes they certainly aren't any kind of antagonist.
- Black Comedy: Alongside sarcastic humor, he seems to heavily favor very dark, downright horrifying humor.
- Breakout Character: Tempest!!! She is by far the most popular and beloved character to ever come from any of his stories.
- Brutal Honesty: Especially evident whenever he criticizes something. To put it simply, he doesn't exactly pull punches when he doesn't like something.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Considering he often jokes about killing his friends and his rather disturbing hobbies, it's rather obvious he's trying to go for this.
- Crack Pairing: One of the characters commonly featured in his work(Hazel) has a tendency to get heavily shipped with magic wands in every story he appears in.
- Creator Couple: With his co-writer, DeltaXtreme ...Maybe. It's actually not entirely clear exactly what they are.
- Dead Fic: A multitude of stories he has collaborated on have been left more or less abandoned, with Word of God saying that the main reason for such is because those he was collaborating with either lost interest with the story, are too busy to continue it, have put it on hold until further notice, or plain just don't communicate with him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Whenever he's collaborating with someone, usually expect him to act as the cynical, sarcastic Straight Man to their more bizarre personality.
- Most of his characters are similarly sarcastic.
- Follow the Leader: Downplayed; after Fuzzy Memories, stories within the TPI community began to become less based around crazy antics and more so on further diving into the personalities of their characters. Though, he isn't the first person to spark this kind of change in the community, and he might not have even been the one to spark it, as Dark Amphithere arguably is just as responsible, and is the more likely one of the two due to his larger popularity within the fandom.
- Gentle Giant: He's over six feet tall, and apparently rather large, but doesn't really enjoy hurting much of anything.
- Hate Sink: Reportedly despises writing these kinds of characters into his works, as he personally believes there's no such thing as a truly "good" or "evil" person, but acknowledges that they can actually be rather important for a story overall.
- Hidden Depths: Noted as having a surprisingly good singing voice, and at that, having quite the wide range of voices.
- Jerkass: Really enjoys portraying himself as a prick in his author's notes.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Comes across as distant and rude towards a lot of people, though if the claims are true, he can actually be a rather mature and kind person towards those he cares about, apparently even acting as something of a shoulder to cry on for his friends. He's even discussed considering therapy as a possible future career choice thanks to how much he's helped some people.
- Killed Off for Real: His more serious works are notable for killing off characters, even the popular ones.
- Lighter and Softer: Purposefully intended the Fuzzy Memories series to be this, since he had noticed far too many stories within the TPI community purposefully attempted to be overly dark or gritty for really no reason other than to be that way. As such, the story features minimal violence, little swearing, and a more slice-of-life writing style. Though the sequels to the story are a tiny bit Darker and Edgier, though it's mostly due to exploring darker issues that teenagers commonly deal with, including becoming an adult, getting seriously injured from something they have plenty of experience with, or even just an abusive history with family and friends, so it manages to maintain it's slice-of-life writing anyways.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Fans: He's a huge fan of both Total Drama and Pokémon, which is exactly why he writes work for them in the first place, though he'll occasionally sneak references to other things he's interest in as well. He's even gone on note saying he'll never write a story based on something he doesn't enjoy.
- Not a Morning Person: If he had it his way, he'd sleep in until at least 11:30 every day.
- Old Shame: Holds a very low opinion of his earlier collaborations, including the infamous Total Xtreme Island.
- Parental Abandonment: As of 2018, both of his parents have passed away, despite him being at a relatively young age.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Has at least one of these per story, though rarely is there ever more than one. Examples of these include the likes of Chad, Doc, and Russel.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Has a tendency to throw these towards stories more often than people.
- In a more private case(as in, we don't know what was said), he reportedly sent a very scathing one towards a former friend of his, Roran the Zoroark, who he has cut all ties with.
- Reclusive Artist: Downplayed; he's actually rather active with his fans...Online. He has made it very clear though that he will never show his face or reveal anything personal, citing slight paranoia and his suspicions of others as the main reasons why.
- Reference Overdosed: Zig-Zagged; there are plenty of more subtle references to other pieces of fiction throughout his stories, but he's actually against directly referencing actual pieces of work as canon within his stories. Despite this, due to commonly working with other people, these kind of references will occasionally slip into the stories.
- Self-Deprecation: Commonly will insult himself for his aggressive personality and bluntness.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Despite this, it's very easy to mistake him for begin quite the egomaniac.
- Situational Sexuality: Very often he can actually act as if he's in a relationship with his co-writer, Delta, and other times acts as if he's completely straight. However, this could just be a case of him being in the middle, but even he's not too sure at points.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness vs. Seriousness: Really, any of his stories can run the scale from either being rather lighthearted and slightly silly(Fuzzy Memories) to focusing more on dark drama and heavy plotlines(Our United Purpose).
- Teasing Creator: Has made it very clear over the years that he enjoys teasing his fans about potential plotlines, characters, etc in his stories. He's even stated as enjoying misleading fans about the future of stories as well.
- Tsundere: While he can get pretty passionate and thus come across as quite egotistical and argumentative, most of said he actually showcases a far sweeter side towards those who get to know him.
- Trolling Creator: Intentionally messes with his readers whenever he can, and has apparently even messed with those he's worked with a few times as well, just because he could.
- World Building: All of his stories actually take place in the same reality under a single omniverse, which is why the same characters show up in his stories so much; they're the alternate versions of the characters.
- Younger Than They Look: He actually looks around four or so years younger than his actual age, due to what he describes as his "baby face".