Fictosophy is a YouTube channel based in Duluth, Minnesota. It technically got its start in 2015 when Samuel T Weston declared that it would make 20 short films in 2015. Which fizzled out. But then, in 2016, Sam reaffirmed that goal by releasing "Translating Minnesota Nice" and a few other short films.
The channel is inactive now, but you can still find it here.
This channel provides examples of:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Tom, the titular character in "Jedi Coworker," goes to the office wearing Jedi robes. He's good at his job, according to his manager, but he's still a superfan.
- Christmas Rushed: "The Best Case Scenario" was made in less than a week just to have something for April Fools Day.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In "Jedi Coworker," Tom is so much of a Star Wars fan that he organizes a Jedi Temple, not realizing that Steve, his coworker, isn't interested.
- Fat and Proud: As seen in the announcement video, Sam has no problem with people calling him fat.Sam: I have plenty of big ideas to change the—
Troll: Heh. Big. Like you.
Sam: (beat) You gotta work on your trolling, sir.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: "Jedi Coworker." Everyone's had it up to here with Tom's shenanigans. The only one who's okay with it is Shannon, who also happens to be the manager.
- Fun with Subtitles: On top of moving the text to anywhere but the "sub" area, "Translating Minnesota Nice" also plays around with the characters' meaning.
- Godwin's Law: Fulfilled by the third short, "The Best Case Scenario."Trump: I campaigned for the same things as Hitler. Ya got that? Hitler!
- Manchild: Tom, in "Jedi Coworker," goes to the office wearing Jedi robes.Steve: Tom should be ashamed of himself for acting like such a child!
- Minnesota Nice: "Translating Minnesota Nice" takes the typical passive-aggressive nature and removes the "passive" part with subtitles of what they really mean.
- Scare Campaign: "The Best Case Scenario" ends up being an attack ad on Donald Trump's campaign.
- Self-Deprecation: The announcement video, "On The Next: Fictosophy," features an internet troll caricature who makes fun of Sam.
- After the plans for 2015 fell through, annotations were added that poked fun at Sam's ineptitude.
- Spice Up the Subtitles: When a line goes "Oh. Okay den" and reads "Oh!... This is a pickle," you know the subtitler had a little too much fun.
- Take That, Audience!: "The Best Case Scenario" shows a fictionalized Donald Trump calling out his own voters.
- Trouble Entendre: "Translating Minnesota Nice" is this trope embodied. The sinister aspect is hidden beneath layers of Minnesota accent.