Evgenia Medvedeva is a Russian figure skater. She is a two-time world champion, who also won the silver medal at the Pyeongchang Olympic Games. Her stated goal is to win at the Beijing games in 2022.
She is also well-known for being a fan of several anime and liking Kpop, and is one of the most popular skaters on social media.
Medvedeva trains in Moscow and is being coached by Eteri Tutberidze.
Tropes associated with Evgenia Medvedeva:
- Always Someone Better: Evgenia burst onto the senior scene, consistently beating older stars in her first two years. This has turned around, where she now has to deal with younger competitors who can jump quadruple jumps.
- Ascended Fangirl: the creator of Yuri!!! on Ice drew her with one of them main characters, making her part of that universe. As a great fan of the series, she proudly displayed the picture.
- Badass Adorable
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Alina Zagitova beating her at the Olympics. For long, Medvedeva had been considered the very likely winner.
- Determinator: Despite not winning the expected gold medal at the 2018 Olympics, Evgenia made it her goal to win in 2022. She moved to Canada, now has to deal with quad jumping younger competitors, boot problems in 2019 and being stuck away from her rink due to Corona. She is still determined to continue.
- Determined Expression: Looks scary when she is concentrating.
- Didn't See That Coming: Evgenia leaving Eteri's school caused the most drama out of all things she ever did in figure skating. Some people saw that coming. What most did not see coming was that she would return to Eteri in 2020.
- Fangirl: She loves several anime and has even cosplayed.
- Fan Nickname: Zhenya. Meds. Medo-chan in Japan.
- Flame Bait: Any mention of how she or Zagitova should have won the Olympics.
- Flame War: Often was the subject of these during her long winning-streak.
- Taken Up to Eleven when she left her long-time coach to skate in Canada.
- Has gone down -slightly- now that other skaters are the frontrunners.
- For the Lulz: Did an extra triple toe-loop at both Russian Nationals and the European Championships in the 2016-2017 season, even though it wouldn't get her any points.
- Friendly Rivalry: Is good friends with Wakaba Higuchi, who is also a strong competitor.
- Friendship Moment: Many. Includes dancing with Anna Pogorilaya after they both won World medals in 2016, head banging with Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno and hanging out with Jason Brown in Canada.
- Promoted Fanboy: Performed as Sailor Moon and met the franchise's creator Naoko Takeuchi. She also has been cast to play Usagi in the official ice show.
- Proud to Be a Geek: She is very open about her geekiness, showing off cosplay pics of herself as the protagonist of Yuri!!! on Ice and doing an entire exhibition skate themed around Sailor Moon, amongst other things.
- Reaction Shot: Tweeted pictures of herself during competition as reaction shots to things that were happening in anime.
- Rule of Funny: Has no problem making fun of herself and her geekiness with crazy edits, especially on Twitter.
- Signature Move: Jumping with one or two hands above her head. Good loop jumps.
- Also miming, telling a story in her programs.
- Recently the rare Salchow-Loop combo.
- Transformation Sequence: Did this in her gala performance as Sailor Moon.