Eugenio Barona is a Spanish actor and voice actor. While having a significant career in TV series, he is also known for his work dubbing anime and films, in which he has had some really varied roles.
Eugenio made his debut in the anime scene in Digimon Adventure, after which he became a staple of distribution company Arait Multimedia and pretty much everybody who needs a booming voice with an uncanny ability to switch to acute. This enables him to play multiple characters: with a bit of filter, he can be an ominous narrator at a moment and an adorable wolf critter at the next.
In TV, he has acted in famous Spanish series of all kinds, including dramas and soap operas like the El Súper and Al salir de clase and thrillers like Motivos Personales, El Comisario and Guante Blanco; he also starred in his own series, the short-lived C.L.A. No somos ángeles, in which he played the director of a recalcitrant medical clinic. As seen in those, Barona has somewhich of a tend to play cops, police staff members and also doctors, perhaps for his authoritarian voice and mannerisms. However, aversely, his best remembered role in TV might be the suave con man Elías Roncero from Amar es para siempre.
Notable roles by Eugenio Barona:
- Saba in One Piece.
- Mr. Maki in Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch.
- Tomekichi in Himitsu no Akko-chan III.
- Digimon franchise:
- Transformers franchise:
- Ray Dark/Reiji Kageyama in Inazuma Eleven.
- Wall Man and other crazy characters in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.
- Onsen-mark in Urusei Yatsura.
- Daku and quite others in Shinzo.
- Yahoot, Gutsman and Snakeman in MegaMan NT Warrior.
- Braum in League of Legends.
- Deadshot in Batman: Arkham Series.
- King Agamenon in Age of Mythology.
- Naboo captian in Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.
- Ormus in Diablo II.
- He-Man and Skeletor (!) in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002).
- Tim Scam in Totally Spies!.
Tropes that apply to Eugenio Barona:
- Bald of Awesome
- Cool Old Guy: You would never believe the hieratic Barona can really be the voice behind Gabumon.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Has played several villains, often with a distinctively deep voice.
- I Have Many Names: His character Elías Roncero from Amar es para siempre goes under at least seven aliases, and it's revealed that his name is just one of them.
- Lovable Rogue: Elías first appears in the series to charm landlady Benigna in order to con her, but the stuff amusingly blows in both their faces and he has to run away. He latter reappears with a full HeelFace Turn to help Benigna with an old revenge (and to bring some Belligerent Sexual Tension) before disappearing again.
- Manipulative Bastard: Has several in his resume, like Skeletor, Tim Scam and Elías.
- Playing Against Type: Barona voiced Jason Statham of all people in the strange Spanish dub of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.