Eric Stuart (born October 18, 1967-) is an American voice actor. He has done anime roles mainly under 4Kids, most notably Brock, James, and Kaiba. His most favorite anime roles are that of James and Gourry. Many people consider him to be the rival of Dan Green, but in truth, they are very good friends.
Stuart is also an accomplished singer. He formed his first band at age 14, learned to play the guitar in eighth grade, and was writing and recording songs by the tenth grade. Before graduating high school, he had recorded over 40 original songs!
Here's his band's MySpace.
He retired from voice acting to work on new material for his band. However, he reprised his role as Gourry in Slayers Revolution-R in 2010, and started making more frequent guest appearances at anime conventions in 2011. He also recently reprised his role of Seto Kaiba in 2017 for Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions.
Before he retired from voice-acting, his Californian counterpart was Johnny Yong Bosch note . His Canadian counterparts were Brad Swaile, Kirby Morrow and Andrew Francis. His Dallas counterparts were Todd Haberkorn, Micah Solusod, and Austin Tindle. His Houston counterparts were David Matranga and Blake Shepard . His Texan counterparts was Chris Patton note .
Despite doing a lot of voice work for 4Kids, he doesn't seem to be particularly fond of the company if this video is any indication. This is because he was getting paid more for commercial voiceover work than dubbing episodes for 4Kids (he was paid about $75 for dubbing a single episode of Pokémon), and when they decided to use voice clips for commercials, he wasn't getting paid for that anymore. He also admitted how terrible 4Kids' adaptation of One Piece was.
He recently started his own production called Crossing The G.O.D.S. and has done so alongside Dan Green as well as Anthony Salerno, fellow former 4Kids and generally New York based dub alumni, an audio-visual novel of sorts. It will be released in segments beginning in early 2018:Crossing The G.O.D.S. Trailer.
Notable roles from Eric Stuart:
- Brock, James (replacement voice of Ted Lewis after episode nine and arguably the most memorable voice for James), Butch, Squirtle, and the Magikarp Salesman from Pokémon.
- And eventually, almost every single remotely-masculine Pokémon up through Hoenn: his success is largely up to opinion.
- You have to admit though, he's a Man of a Thousand Voices to have managed that even remotely successfully.
- Seto Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh! and GX.
- Gourry Gabriev from Slayers.
- Meta Knight from Kirby: Right Back at Ya! (With the Spanish accent). He also voices Gus, Sword Knight (second voice) and several additional roles.
- The Narrator from the 4Kids version of One Piece.
- Black Shadow and Octoman from F-Zero GP Legend.
- Dr. Z from Dinosaur King.
- Yutaka Watari from Descendants of Darkness.
- Lucian and Grey from Valkyrie Profile.
- Dik Dik Van Dik and Mac Metaphor in Ultimate Muscle.
- Les Galagoogoo and Pecky Pudgeon in Viva Piñata.
- Various roles in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), including acid-spewing mutant Quarry and Usagi Yojimbo's Murakami Gennosuke.
- The Narrator in the Movie 43 segment "Victorys Glory".
Albums Eric Stuart released:
- Eric Stuart (1998)
Eric Stuart Band albums
- Curiosity (1996)
- Picture Perfect World (1997)
- Blue, Dressed in Black (2000)
- Bombshellshocked (2003)
- In The County of Kings (2007)
- Empty Frame of Reference (2009)
- Falls on Me (2011)
- Lipstick & Barbed Wire (2013)
- Character (EP) (2015)
- My Kind of Danger (2018)