An Interactive Fiction (IF) writer and reviewer.
She wrote a column on IF for Rock Paper Shotgun, IF Only.
She has worked as a writer for Failbetter Games, and in 2020, joined them as creative director.
Her works include:
- Alabaster (with various other authors)
- Best of Three
- Counterfeit Monkey
- Cragne Manor (with various other authors)
- Pythos Mask
- Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus (with Dan Shiovitz)
Other works she has contributed to:
Provides examples of:
- Creator Backlash:
- Creator Couple: Her husband Graham Nelson created Inform, a programming language for Interactive Fiction. Short contributed majorly to version 7.
- Defunct Online Video Games: Short's 2014 game Ultimate Quest was released as a tie-in for NVIDIA. However, the website went down, and the game is currently unplayable.
- Orphaned Series: Her When in Rome series was planned to run for five episodes, but only two were released, leaving the story unfinished. In 2022, she said it was canceled due to a lack of player interest and she doesn't remember what the rest of the plot was intended to be.
- Pen Name: "Emily Short" is a pseudonym.
- Saved from Development Hell: Bee was released in 2012 for Varytale. When Varytale shut down, its lead developer recreated Bee for the Dendry platform, but in incomplete form. However, in 2022, the project was finally finished by a new developer, along with general polishing of the game's text and mechanics.