- "Fairytales are only valuable if you see them as metaphor in your life and the world. Slay your own dragons..."Eion Bailey's Twitter
Eion Francis Hamilton Bailey (born June 8 1976) is an American actor and philanthropist. He made his acting debut in 1997, starring in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Pack". He appeared in bit parts in films such as Fight Club and Almost Famous, and TV shows like Dawson's Creek. A major career boost came in the form of Band of Brothers where he played Private David Kenyon Webster.
If you don't know him from that, other famous roles include Ben Mercer in Covert Affairs, Ray of Stalker, Steve Knight on Ray Donovan and August W Booth on Once Upon a Time. He's also responsible for the creation of Imagine This! TV - a documentary-reality web series.
Provides examples of:
- The Ace: Plays one in the film Mindhunters.
- Ambiguously Jewish: A thread on his IMDB board wonders as much.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Beauty? Well look at a picture. Brains? Wrote numerous plays as a teenager. Brawn? Also played football in high school.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Described himself as such in school. He got decent grades but didn't like doing homework.
- Carpet of Virility: Sports this whenever he has a Shirtless Scene.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Has said he often gets confused with Paul Rudd and Jason Patric.
- Deadpan Snarker: Tends to play this type of character a lot. In interviews he comes across as The Quiet One however.
- Demoted to Extra: He's a regular in the first seasons of Covert Affairs and Once Upon A Time - but only appears as a guest star in subsequent seasons.
- Guy-on-Guy Is Hot: An indie film he did early in his career Seven and a Match is known primarily for fangirls squeeing over August making out with Ben Wyatt.
- Happily Married: To Weyni Mengesha, a Canadian director.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Invoked at a panel. He says that his parents played a joke on him at age eight, where they told him he wasn't a real boy and was actually a robot. Then he goes onto play a grown-up Pinocchio.
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: Frequently jokes that he was a fan of N.W.A. and dressed accordingly.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: They help to convey the 'heart of gold' part whenever he portrays a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay: The name is pronounced the same as "Ian". Though it's confusing for Irish fans, as the Irish variant of the name Owen is spelt 'Eoin'.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: In the Band of Brothers interviews, he seems like the last person you'd expect to take part in various on-set pranks. Then he confesses to trashing Tom Hardy's hotel room as a joke (he took part in said prank anyway).
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Spoke against this trope on his Twitter account."I am a white man married to a black woman. We have two 'mixed race' boys who couldn't be more beautiful. Happy father!
- Nice Guy: Imagine This! TV was his own idea and features him and a crew helping with projects in various communities around the world. He also frequently shares his friend's projects and attempts to get fans involved with charity work.
- Perma-Stubble: Tends to sport it in some of his roles. Lampshaded in a OUAT episode where Regina says of August "you never shaved."
- Promoted to Opening Titles: Midway through Season 1 of Once Upon a Time. Dropped from them in Season 2.
- Scenery Porn: He often travels to exotic locations and will share plenty of pictures showing off the scenery.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: 5ft 10, black haired and with a considerable Estrogen Brigade. Also wears rather a lot of black in various roles.
- Teen Genius: He tells a story about getting expelled from school but allowed back in if he wrote the plays for the drama club.
- Troll: Confesses to being this in his youth. He tweeted that he was expelled from school for spray-painting "NWA" on a set of lockers.