Along with Cy Grant, he was one of the first black actors to break the "colour bar" in British cinema. With his first role in 1951's Pool of London, he also became one of the first black actors to get a starring role in a British film.
He passed away a little over one month short of his 103rd birthday on July 3, 2020.
- Pool of London (1951) as Johnny Lambert
- Tarzan the Magnificent (1960) as Tate
- Tarzan's Three Challenges (1963) as Mang
- Thunderball (1965) as Pinder
- Doctor Who (1966, episode "The Tenth Planet") as William
- The Prisoner (1967, episode "The Schizoid Man") as the supervisor
- Mohammad, Messenger of God (1976) as Annajashi
- The Interpreter (2005) as Edmond Zuwanie
- The Queen (2006) as the portrait artist
- Inception (2010) as the old man